THE PANKHURST CENTRE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1197896
Date first listed:
10-Jun-1974
Statutory Address:
THE PANKHURST CENTRE, 62, NELSON STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE PANKHURST CENTRE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1197896 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jul-2019 at 09:55:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE PANKHURST CENTRE, 62, NELSON STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Manchester (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 84992 96288

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ8497 NELSON STREET, Chorlton-On-Medlock 698-1/21/602 (North side) 10/06/74 No.62 The Pankhurst Centre

GV II*

One of a pair of villas, now part of The Pankhurst Centre (with No.60 to the right, q.v.). c.1840, altered. Red brick (the left side rendered and mostly scored), hipped slate roof. Two storeys and 3 bays, formerly symmetrical, with pedimented centre breaking forwards slightly; stone plinth, modillioned eaves cornice; central ellipical-headed doorway with set-in doorcase of slender Tuscan columns with entablature and cornice, panelled door and plain fanlight; 4-pane sashed windows with raised sills and wedge lintels, except ground floor right which has added rectangular bay window (now painted black) with slated pentice roof. Left return wall has (inter alia) a 2-storey canted bay to the rear, with 2-centred arched windows which have intersecting glazing bars and hoodmoulds. Interior not inspected. History: home of Mrs Emmeline Pankhurst at the time when she founded the Women's Social and Political Union in 1903 (part of the Suffragette Movement).

Listing NGR: SJ8500296292

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
388346
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01615/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Malies. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].