ST GEORGES SCHOOL, FINBOROUGH HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1198011

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Jan-1988

Statutory Address: ST GEORGES SCHOOL, FINBOROUGH HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST GEORGES SCHOOL, FINBOROUGH HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1198011 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 11:44:34.

Location

Statutory Address: ST GEORGES SCHOOL, FINBOROUGH HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Great Finborough

National Grid Reference: TM0153758076

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREAT FINBOROUGH FINBOROUGH PARK TM 05 NW

2/113 St. George's School, Finborough Hall (formerly listed as Finborough Hall 9.12.55 and stables)

GV II

Preparatory school, formerly country house. 1795 for Roger Pettiward, by F. Sandys. Major mid C19 and C20 extensions at the west end. In the Tuscan style. Gault brick with dressings of stucco. Low-pitched hipped slated roofs; a bold eaves cornice with large modillions. Internal chimneys of gault brick, and a central lead-clad dome. North entrance front of 7 windows, including a full-height central semi-circular bay, 3 windows wide and with a parapet. 2 storeys. Small-pane sashes with mid C19 moulded stucco architraves and cornices. A semi-circular portico projects forward from the bay: 6 Tuscan columns support a flat entablature; a pair of C19 part-glazed panelled entrance doors, and a square fanlight with radiating bars. On the south front, in the equivalent position, is a similar bay without the portico; the flanking windows (one on each side) are tripartite sashes. On the 5- window east front is a giant portico of 4 columns supporting a pediment. Major mid C19 extensions to the west side are mainly of 2 storeys, but include an Italianate tower and an orangery with an arcade of 8 round-arched windows. A good staircase with unusual wrought-iron balustrading.

Listing NGR: TM0153758076

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 279888

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing