Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST SWITHUN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1198176.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:34:12.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
Compton Beauchamp
National Grid Reference:
SU 27923 86919


COMPTON BEAUCHAMP SU28NE 5/72 Church of St. Swithun. 21/11/66


Church. Late C13, probably incorporating earlier structure. Chalk ashlar, except chalk and sarsen rubble to tower and sarsen base to nave, limestone quoins and dressings; all walling except quoins and part of tower whitewashed. Cruciform plan with porch and west tower. Early C14 reticulated style east window, one two-light late C13 window and one pointed lancet to each side wall of chancel. North transept has late C13 Y-tracery window and one window of intersecting tracery. South transept was rebuilt in c.1911, using much of the original stonework;two C20 windows and C20 door with 4-centered arch and moulded architrave, two-light early C16 windows with arched head. Each wall of nave has two-light late C13 windows, north wall has blocked late C13 door with 2-centered arch and section of walling between porch and tower has earlier masonry beneath the windows. Chancel and nave have gabled roofs. Tower built of sarsen rubble with decorative chalk bands, string course, and 2 two-light late C13 windows. Interior: Altar frontal, reredos and alter rail in chancel designed by Martin Travers c.1950; east window has some C14 glass depicting the Annunciation with also our Lady and Child by Travers; C13 piscina and simple stone bench sedilia; on either side of altar are memorial tablets to two infants, Margaret and Christian White (d.1627 and 1618) also a small C15 brass floor tablet to William Frampton, rector and memorials to Thomas Langley, rector, d.1703-31, and Benjamin Langley, d.1731-77. The vine murial around the chancel walls was painted c.1900 by Lydia Lawrence of the Kyrle Society; the birds, owl bat and insects were added in c.1967 and painted by Anthony Baynes and T.L.B. Huskinson. Screens for both transepts by Travers c.1947. East window of north transept has some C14 stained glass depicting the Crucificion. The south transept (rebuilt in c.1911) has a grille depicting Edward the Confessor by Travers, who also made the oak vesting chests and cupboards c.1950. Rood above chancel arch by Travers c.1933.Nave has C15 font with canopy by Travers, c.1933. Elaborate wall monuments to Rachel Richards (d.1737) and her daughter Ann (d.1771), who both lived at the Manor House, and also their housekeeper Mary Cooper (d.1762). 4-bay late-C19 arch-braced roof. Lady Chapel at west end by Travers, c.1934. (Buildings of England, Berkshire, p.121.)

Listing NGR: SU2792386919


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 121


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01893/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Maureen Albright. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].