THE SIGN OF THE ANGEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1198180

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1960

Statutory Address: THE SIGN OF THE ANGEL, 6, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE SIGN OF THE ANGEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1198180 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 22:21:43.

Location

Statutory Address: THE SIGN OF THE ANGEL, 6, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Lacock

National Grid Reference: ST9158668570

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LACOCK CHURCH STREET ST 9168 (north side) 4/42 No 6 (The Sign of the Angel) 20.12.60 GV II*

House, late C15, rubble stone and timber-frame with stone slate roofs. Two storeys. Exceptionally fine front of 2 jettied gables with framing above, exposed in early C20, over substantially intact stone ground floor. A lower narrow gable to left has plastered upper floor over triple casement. Main range has roof hipped to west and ridge stack. Left gable has decorative framing over two C20 leaded oriel windows, right gable has applied planking over framing and first floor casement pair. Ground floor left has broad entrance passage with Tudor-arched carved timber-lintel and inner plank door in pointed-arched hollow-moulded surround. In porch space, a side doorway into former shop which has front 15-pane window inserted in broad C15 hollow-moulded frame. Ground floor right has fine canted stone bay with dripmould and 1-4-1-light hollow-moulded mullion windows. East side stack. Cross wing continues behind with exposed square framing on east side wall infilled in red brick. Massive north end stack. Interior: through-passage, large moulded fireplace with altered head and carved shelf backing onto passage, moulded beams, east end moulded stone fireplace on ground floor. First floor: windbraced roofs to small west room and left room of main range which has Tudor-arched fireplace and panelling dated 1639. Said to have been built in 1480.

Listing NGR: ST9158668570

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 315476

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing