CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1198490.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 02:10:04.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
- Kiddington with Asterleigh
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 41143 22912
KIDDINGTON WITH ASTERLEIGH KIDDINGTON
10/64 Church of Saint Nicholas
Church. Mostly C14 with C12 core; chancel rebuilt in 1845 by G.G. Scott but incorporating C12 work. Church restored and vestry/organ chamber added in 1879 by Somers Clarke. Squared and coursed limestone with ashlar dressings. Roof not visible behind parapet. Stone slate roof to vestry. Three-bay nave with south porch, south transept, 2-bay apsidal chancel with north vestry/organ chamber, and partly-integral west tower. Chancel rebuilt in a neo-Norman style. Tower: 2 stages externally. Chamfered plinth, chamfered offset above belfry and string course to parapet with chamfered coping. Chamfered ogee-headed lancet openings to belfry and trefoil-headed -rectangular first-floor west window. Nave and transept: chamfered plinth, coved parapet string course with carved gargoyles at corners, and parapet with chamfered coping. South side of nave: central square-headed window of 2 cinquefoil-headed lights with cusped flowing tracery, chamfered reveals and hood mould with carved heads as stops. Continuously-moulded south doorway in angle to right with pair of C19 boarded doors and hood mould with carved heads as stops. Gabled stone porch with cored string course, parapet with chamfered coping, and continuously-moulded archway covered by hood mould with carved heads as stops. Interior of porch with stone side benches and roof with moulded wooden wall plates, chamfered ridge piece with broach stops and chamfered rafters. North side; 2 buttresses with chamfered offsets. Outer bays have square-headed windows, that to left C14 of 2 cinquefoil-headed lights with cusped tracery, chamfered reveals and returned hood mould and that to right a C19 restoration of 2 ogee trefoil-headed lights, reticulated tracery, chamfered reveals and returned hood mould. Central doorway with continuously-moulded arch, returned hood mould and old boarded door with wrought-iron strap hinges. West end: trefoiled chamfered triangular windows high up flanking tower. Transept: large square-headed south window of 3 ogee cinquefoil-headed lights with reticulated tracery, moulded reveals and hood mould with carved stops (left-hand stop weathered, right-hand stop is a carved beast). South doorway to left with continuously-moulded arch, hood mould with carved heads and stops and C19 boarded door. Square-headed east window of 2 ogee cinquefoil-headed lights with cusped tracery, chamfered reveals and hood mould with carved stops (beasts). East wall of nave and chancel with weathering of former chancel roof-pitch. Chancel: flush dressed stone eaves band, and chamfered stone eaves band with corbel table, including many reused well-carved C12 corbels. Three chamfered round-arched east windows with hood moulds. Chamfered trefoil-headed lancet with hood mould to south. Vestry: gable end to north; ground-floor rectangular window of 3 ogee cinquefoil headed lights with moulded reveals and square-headed window in apex of one ogee cinquefoil-headed light with moulded reveals. Continuously-chamfered arched basement doorway with boarded door. Interior: C19 five-bay nave roof with moulded wall plates, king-post trusses, from moulded stone corbels (some reused medieval corbel heads), pairs of chamfered purlins, and chamfered rafters. Chamfered rear arches to nave, north door with plain segmental relieving arch. North-east window with flight of stone steps in wall beneath, probably to former roof loft. Piscina to south-east with chamfered trefoiled arch and circular bowl. Continuous double-chamfered tower arch covered by hood mould with carved heads as stops. Tower window with Caernarvon rear arch and relieving arch in wall above. Large wooden ladder to belfry. Stilted wave-moulded transept arch springing from short Wall shafts with moulded bases and capitals and ball-flower ornament, carried round to chancel arch and around transept as cill strung; hood mould with carved heads as stops. Cill string projecting as image brackets flanking transept east window with weathered corbel heads, and carried over south door as hood mould. Segmental rear arch dying into responds. Double piscina in south wall of transept, with ogee trefoil-headed arches, central free-standing mullion, panelled spandrels and square hood. C19 two-bay transept roof with moulded cambered tie-beam, curved brackets springing from old carved stone corbels (possibly reset), chamfered purlins with broach stops and chamfered rafters. Double wave-moulded chancel arch (the outer moulding continuous) springing from short wall shafts with moulded bases and capitals, chamfered reveal beneath with ball-flower ornament (carried round from transept to right), and returned hood mould. Piscina in north respond of arch with chamfered trefoiled arch and scalloped bowl. String course to right of chancel arch projects as an image bracket with defaced corbel head beneath. C19 two-bay chancel roof with arched-braced collar, pairs of purlins and boarded soffit. Organ opening on north wall of chancel with wooden lintel. South chancel window with chamfered rear arch. Double sedilia in south wall of chancel formed from former C14 twb-light window (in east wall until 1848) with cinquefoil-headed arched openings panelled tracery, chamfered reveals and returned hood mould. Reset C12 chancel arch to apse consisting of one order of shafts with cushion capitals and moulded bases, moulded imposts, chevron ornament to arch and chevron-ornamented hood mould. Apse with boarded roof and splayed reveals to east windows. Fittings: mainly late C19. Traceried-panelled oak altar with inscription to rear; "SANCTUS SANCTUS SANCTUS". Oak reredos of 1901, by Harry Hems and Sons of Exeter, with traceried panels, carved frieze and cresting and 2 carved angels in niches. Wrought-iron and brass altar rails. Oak choir stalls with pierced carved backs, carved poppyheads and trefoil-arcaded frontals. Painted wooden vestry screen with organ to centre. Oak chancel screen dated 1897, also by Hems and Sons of Exeter, with pierced cinquefoil-headed lights, blind traceried lower panels, and carved frieze and cresting. Brass lectern. Polygonal wooden pulpit with trefoil panels and circular stone stem. C14 polygonal stone font with 2-light blind traceried panels, ball-flower ornament to frieze and C19 iron-bound wooden cover; step. Oak screen to tower arch with pierced traceried panels. Vestry with revised C12 carved grotesque corbel heads, chamfered-arched corner fireplace with wooden cornice, and chamfered rear arch to north window. Transept fitted out as squires pew in the C19 with plain pews and low screen with gate. C19 brass electric chandeliers in chancel, nave and transept. Stone floors throughout, except for C19 tiles to chancel and vestry. Stained glass: apse windows of 1879, by Clayton and Bell. More C19 glass in transept, north window of nave and west window of tower. Fragments of probably medieval stained glass in small west windows of nave. Monuments: brass on south wall of nave, to Walter Gooden (d.l513), Incised stone tablet in nave floor to Elizabeth Clement (d. September 1699), with inscription: "SHORT WAS HUR STAY/THE LONGER IS HUR REST/GOD OFTEN TAKS AWAY/WHOM HE LOVES BEST"; also to Robert Clement (d. 31 October 1731). Two C18 marble wall tablets in south transept, one to Barbara Gore (d. 27 August 1770) with moulded cornice, scrolls flanking inscription and with husk garlands above and base, with shield and palm fronds, and one to Henry Browne with panelled pilasters and open triangular pediment with urn. Tablet to left of chancel arch to Robert Buswell (d.31 March 1766) with flanking pilaster strips, cornice, curved triangular pediment, and bracket to base. Old photograph in vestry of church after restoration. The church of Saint Nicholas stands near to Kiddington Hall (q.v.) and forms part of a small country house group. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp668-9; Kelly's Directory of Oxfordshire (1911) pp137-8)
Listing NGR: SP4114322912
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 668-9
'Kellys Directory' in Oxfordshire, (1911), 137-8
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing