CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1198542
Date first listed:
23-Mar-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1198542.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 18:16:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Burcombe Without
National Grid Reference:
SU 07304 31166

Details

SU 03 SE BURCOMBE WITHOUT NORTH BURCOMBE (north side)

2/111 Church of St. John the Baptist 23.3.60

II*

Anglican parish church. Saxon, C13, C15, tower rebuilt 1667, restored 1859 by T.H. Wyatt. Rubble stone, tiled roof with coped verges. Chancel, nave with low south tower over porch, C19 north aisle. Two-stage tower with diagonal buttresses, Tudor-arched doorway with cusped spandrels and square hoodmould, offset bellstage with 2-light recessed chamfered mullioned louvre on south and east side, 2-light Tudor-arched louvre to west, sundial below and circular gilded clock face on south side, plain parapet with saddleback coping. South side of nave has 2-light square-headed window with cusped lights to left of tower, two 2-light square- headed windows with cusped lights and hoodmoulds to right. South side of chancel has two pairs of cusped ogee lancets, east end has C19 plate tracery window, Saxon long-and-short work to corners of east end, north side has attached C19 vestry with cusped lancets and pointed doorway. North aisle of 1859 has three C16-style 2- light windows and one single-light, all with square hoodmoulds, quatrefoil to west end. West end of nave has cross window with cusped pointed lights and hoodmould with unfinished terminals, trefoil over. Interior: Porch has pointed chamfered inner doorway with C19 door, plain pointed stoup to right. Nave has C19 seven-bay boarded vaulted roof. C19 north aisle with 4-bay double-chamfered pointed arcade on cylindrical piers. C19 double chamfered chancel arch, C19 wagon roof, polychrome tiled floor. Fittings: C19 pews, late C19 C16-style panelling in chancel, chamfered pointed piscina on south wall, C19 stone pulpit with open arcading. Restored C12 cylindrical stone font in nave. Stained glass windows in chancel of1880s and 1890s. Monuments include a segmental eared tablet to Matthew Pitts died 1746 and a marble to Edmund Pitts died 1770 in nave, marble in north aisle to Ruth Moore died 1806 with fluted pilasters and frieze. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: SU0730431166

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
320697
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/11138/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Anne Thomas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].