CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1199016
Date first listed:
08-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, MAIN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1199016.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2020 at 14:29:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, MAIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Swalcliffe
National Grid Reference:
SP 37857 37892

Details

SWALCLIFFE MAIN ROAD SP3737 (North side) 7/80 Church of SS. Peter and 08/12/55 Paul GV I Church. C11. Chancel of ,Saxon Church incorporated in north and south arcades of present nave. C12 north aisle rebuilt C14; C13 south aisle, south doorway west tower. C14 chancel rebuilt c.1854; C15 clerestory and upper stages of tower, porch rebuilt 1876. Church restored 1854-56, by R.C. Hussey. Coursed regular ironstone rubble with stone and Welsh slate roof. Chancel: Geometrical east window with hood mould; 2-and 3-light windows with Y-tracery to north and south walls; 3-light geometrical window to south wall to right of 2-centred doorway with hood mould and stops; blocked 2-centred doorway on north wall has hood mould and stops; diagonal buttresses on north-west angle. South aisle: geometrical east window; 4 triplets of lancets to south wall; 2-light lancet to west wall; south doorway has 2 piers with stiff leaf decoration and 2 orders of hollow chamfered roll moulding; blocked 2-centred doorway and arch with dog- tooth ornament to right; moulded parapet. West tower of 4 stages has crenellated parapet and rectangular staircase projection on south-west. 2-light perpendicular windows to clerestory. Interior: Chancel has single piscina and 3 seat sedilia. Stone blind arcading c.1854 by R.C. Hussey. Nave: 2 small round headed windows in north and south arcades belong to earlier Saxon Church. Narrow north aisle has a 4-bay arcade of 3 round headed arches and round piers with scalloped and waterleaf capitals. Wide south aisle: 4-bay arcade with arches of 2 chamfered orders, octagonal piers and large projecting abacii. One capital has trumpet-scallop decoration, the others have stiff leaf decoration; the east bay of this arcade is wider with 3 shafts and moulded capitals and probably occupies the south wall of a former chancel; piscina and blocked priest's doorway to south wall. Fittings: Font probably C14 has capital carried in octagonal column, bowl with band of roll moulding and C17 carving. C17 wooden cover. Pulpit 1639. Reading desk made up from C17 panelling. Chancel screen possibly late C15; strapwork cresting added C16/C17 now in south aisle. Pews C17: 2 front pews dated 1637 and 1638. South door inscribed 1639. Wall paintings: C14 to south aisle; C17 texts over earlier work to north aisle. Monuments: north aisle a marble monument with armorial shields to Richard Wykeham (d.1635); South aisle a stone memorial to John Hawten (d.1598) framed by Corinthian columns and a coloured marble monument to John Duncombe (d.1645/6) and his wife Elizabeth. There is a medieval chest tomb under a C14 double arched tomb recess in the south wall. C19 stained glass throughout. (Buildings of England : Oxfordshire, 1974, pp.795-6; V.C.H.: Vol.X, pp.251-2).

Listing NGR: SP3784637892

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
244091
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 795-6
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1972), 251-2

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jun 2003
Reference: IOE01/10888/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr J. B. Moseley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].