THE MANOR HOUSE HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1199055
Date first listed:
20-Dec-1960
Date of most recent amendment:
09-Dec-1985
Statutory Address:
THE MANOR HOUSE HOTEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MANOR HOUSE HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1199055 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 11:13:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE MANOR HOUSE HOTEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Castle Combe
National Grid Reference:
ST 83988 77220

Details

CASTLE COMBE MANOR HOUSE ST 87 NW 2/106 The Manor House Hotel 20.12.60 (formerly listed as The Manor Hotel)

GV II

Manor house, C17 origins, heavily rebuilt c1830-50 for G.P. Scrope and altered after 1871 for E.C. Lowndes. Later C20 additions for hotel. Rubble stone with ashlar dressings, some ashlar work of c1830-50 and stone tiled roofs with tall ashlar stacks. Main east front: Two-and-a-half storeys with twin gabled centre and projecting gabled left wing of C17 origins, ashlar north end and conservatory to north-east c1830-50. Later C19 shingled bell turret. All openings C19, centre section with sashes and hoodmoulds to attic left, first floor left paired window and two first floor right windows with Scrope arms between. Ground floor large paired sashes, centre Tudor arched doorway with shields over and large mullion and transom bay to right with earlier C19 pierced parapet. Gabled wing to left has large 2-storey canted bay with carved shields, c1873, and 3-light attic window. Extension at north end has big octagonal turret, then 2 Tudor arched ground floor bays, former orangery, with panelling over matching 3-arched stone conservatory with pierced balustrade and animal finials to piers running east. Over 2 ground floor bays, 2 window section, canted, with mullion and transom first floor windows and attic dormer gables. South end gable has possibly C17 attic window and earlier C19 gable to left. Main south front is 2 storey range, added c1830-50, gabled to east and west with octagonal corner buttresses and big 2-storey ashlar south side canted bay. Traces of C17 work in original range set back to left. Large C20 dining hall beyond. Service court, obscured and roofed in C20, apparently earlier C19. Interior: Hall fireplace, bolection moulded with Scrope arms over, c1700, the only original feature. Fine panelling to hall dated 1664 fromEastbn Piercy House, Wilts brought in by G.P. scrope. Former dining room to north has ornate c1830-50 plaster frieze with small Parian ware heads incorporated. A manor of the Scrope family c1400-1866. (E. Cruse: Castle Combe, 1965).

Listing NGR: ST8398877220

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
317197
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cruse, E , Castle Combe, (1965)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02754/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Clark. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].