Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1199110.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-May-2021 at 14:48:47.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 25219 04162


SP2404-2504 BROADWELL VILLAGE STREET (West side) 8/121 Church of St. Peter and St. 12/09/55 Paul

GV I Church. C12 with C13 alterations, including bell-chamber and spire, transepts, south porch, north chapel, and remodelling of chancel. Much restored 1873, as dated on rainwater heads, by E.G. Bruton. Coursed rubble limestone with plain tile roofs. Cruciform plan with south porch and north chapel. West tower is of 3 stages with C12 pilaster buttresses to 2 lower stages, and trefoil-headed single lights to mid stage. Later door to stairs in south-west corner. C13 bell-chamber has tall 2-light windows with plate tracery, blocked below transoms. Similar gabled lucarnes at base of fine ashlar spire. Spire is octagonal and has small corner buttresses composed of crocketed finials and horizontal flying struts. Short nave has one bay of large 3-light Perpendicular windows, that to north almost full-height with carved angel stops to hoodmould. C12 south doorway, much restored, has 3 nook-shafts with carved capitals to each jamb, and semi-circular arch with dogtooth and chevron ornament and tabbed roll-moulding. Gabled south porch with double-chamfered arch on imposts, trefoil-headed single light above, and stone side benches. North door of nave is also C12, but small, with single roll-moulding. South transept has C13 south window with 3 trefoil-headed lights, and 2 early C19 memorial tablets on east wall. North transept is of ashlar, with moulded plinth and parapet, buttresses, and slit windows to north-east stair turret. Lead roof. Perpendicular 3-light windows. North chapel also has moulded parapet and lead roof, the east wall with C13 window with 3 trefoil-headed lights, the north wall with late C15 3-light window. Chancel has small buttresses and moulded sill string. In south wall are a lowside window and 2 2-light traceried windows, one C13, the other C14. 3-light east window is C19. interior is much restored and stripped of plaster. Fine tower arch is C12, with 2 roll mouldings on moulded impost bands, the jambs having shafts with scalloped capitals and zig-zag ornament. Arches between nave and transepts and chancel are C13, that to north transept on large semi-circular piers with highly restored stiff-leaf capitals, the other arches on shafts with moulded capitals. C19 nave roof on restored stone corbels with carved heads. South transept has good C13 piscina with trefoil head, moulded arch on shafts, and carved foliage gable, and image stand with corbel and arched head in south-east corner. North transept has internal stair turret to former upper chamber, recess with 4-centred arch in north wall, and original moulded corbels supporting C19 roof. Double hollow-chamfered arch to north chapel, the south jamb on chapel side containing a tall narrow recess with rebated arch, possibly once a cupboard for banner staves. Chapel has good C15/C16 roof of moulded timbers on variously carved stone corbels. C13 arch to chancel. Chancel has cusped rere-arches to east window and centre window of south wall. South wall also has aumbry, arched piscina with C19 basin on shaft, and window-seat sedilia. In north wall are 3 shallow C15/C16 niches with 4-centred heads, and a low rectangular recess with piscina. Fittings: C12 stone font with quatrefoil basin on shafted stand, the shafts with moulded bases and strings and scalloped capitals, the basin with nailhead frieze and a long carved head between lobes on east side. Carved and painted wooden panel in north transept has arms of James I and date 1622, and is re-set in pedimented surround dated GR 1829. Other fittings and glass are C19. Monuments: north chapel has fine stone wall tablet to John Huband 1668, in richly moulded surround with festooned side scrolls and swan-neck pediment. In north transept is a marble wall tablet to Sophia Colston 1802, with obelisk, urn and putti, signed by Williams of New Road, London. South transept contains 2 large marble wall tablets, one to Edward Colston 1825, with draped sarcophagus, signed by C. Lewis of Cheltenham, the other to Thomas Edwards 1790, signed by R. Cooke of London. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, p488-90)

Listing NGR: SP2522004168


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J, The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 488-90


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08902/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Manekshaw. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].