CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1199160
Date first listed:
01-Sep-1953
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1199160.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 10:36:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Waveney (District Authority)
Parish:
Wissett
National Grid Reference:
TM 36612 79292

Details

TM 37 NE WISSETT

5/51 Church of St. Andrew 1-9-53 - I

Parish church. C12, C14 and later. Rubble flint, coursed to tower, the rest random, with remains of old plaster; rendered east end; plaintiled roofs. Nave, chancel, south porch, and west tower. C12 round tower with 3 original slit windows in the intermediate stages; later windows to the top stage, plain single-light with pointed heads; string course with gargoyle heads; crenellated top. C14 south porch: shallow-pitched lead roof, diagonal buttresses with flushwork panels, shields in the spandrels of the entrance arch with the emblems of the Passion and the Trinity. Norman north and south doorways to the nave: on the south, one order of shafts, and a roll-moulding with an outer frieze of beasts' heads touching it with their chins; on the north, a far finer doorway with 2 orders of engaged shafts, one with spiral and the other with zigzag decoration; volute and scalloped capitals; one arch with zigzag moulding, the other with lunettes, the whole surrounded by an outer arch and jambs with billet moulding. Perpendicular 2-light windows with traceried heads to nave. The chancel windows are paired lancets set into earlier rounded openings, and the east window has 3 lights with pointed heads within a single arch, all in simple Gothick style of c.1800. C15 porch with a blocked traceried window in each side wall and an open timber roof: embattled cornice, moulded trimmers, and carved bosses at the intersections. Within the nave, to the east of the south door, remains of a holy water stoup. C15 octagonal font, with the emblems of the Evangelists alternating with angels carrying shields around the bowl, and lions alternating with wild men around the base. The seating in the nave is mainly Victorian, but some old poppyhead bench-ends have been incorporated with later benches. The Arms of George III over the north door. An arched braced roof in 6 bays, without collars, but with an ogee-moulded tie-beam to every alternate truss. To the east of the window in the north-east corner of the nave is a section of the rood-loft stairs, high up; to the west of the same window, 2 plain recesses. A simple square Jacobean pulpit, the corners chamfered. An empty trefoil-headed niche in the jamb of the south-east nave window and the remains of a piscina in the south-east corner. All the nave windows contain fragments of medieval stained glass. The chancel has been Victorianised: 4 old poppyhead bench-ends are reused in later benches. On the floor, a black ledger slab with a brass to

Elizabeth Blomfield (d.1638).

Listing NGR: TM3661279292

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
282125
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/13822/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Maxwell Newport. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].