Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1199466.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 00:08:38.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 47993 24169


ROUSHAM ROUSHAM VILLAGE SP4724, SP42SE 14/244, 4/244 Church of St. James 27/08/57 GV II Church. Late C12, enlarged in early C14 and with late C15 alterations; early C13 west tower. Coursed limestone rubble and larger blocks of ironstone with ashlar dressings; gabled stone slate roof to chancel and Welsh slate roof to nave. Chancel, aisled nave and west tower. Two-bay chancel has mid C19 Decorated-style east and south windows, and lancet and trefoiled 3-light window to north. North side of nave has 2 offset buttresses, a late C13 two-light trefoil-headed window set in early C13 blocked archway, a C15 cinquefoiled 2-light clerestory window, a blocked C17 chamfered Tudor-arched doorway, and 2 adjoining C15 two-light transomed and cinquefoiled windows. South aisle has label moulds over early C14 three-light trefoiled window and a C15 two-light cinquefoiled window, an early C14 trefoiled lancet and 2-light Decorated west window. Gabled mid C19 south porch has head of C13 lancet and a C14 sexfoiled light reset as side lights: hood mould over early C14 pointed moulded south door. C14 cinquefoiled 2-light clerestory windows. Early/mid C13 three-stage west tower has small corner buttresses, a C14 hollow-moulded west door, pointed lancets, 2-light round-headed belfry windows and crenellated parapet of c.1860. Interior: alabaster reredos of c.1907; early C14 Decorated piscina. Late C12 pointed and roll-moulded chancel arch has carved star-in-square pattern to hood mould and trumpet-scalloped respond to east. Late C12 three-bay nave arcade, with pointed arches and beaded capital to centre and early C14 bay to west. Part of rood stairs remain, adjoining C15 traceried and panelled screen, with part of rood loft remaining, to south chapel. Chapel has early C14 ogee-headed piscina and organ case by Kitchen of Winchester (1903) which has Gothic pinnacles and reused late C17 balusters and pew backs. Late C17 polygonal pulpit and pews with Jacobean-style carvings to panels. C13 double-chamfered tower arch. Memorials: C18 hatchment of arms beneath clerestory; C19 wall tablets to Cottrell-Dormer family; architectural frame to mid C18 monument to south aisle erected c.1758 by Charles Cottrell-Dormer; kneeling figures of John Dormer (d.1581) and wife brought from Steeple Barton Church in 1851 and reset in niche in south chapel; memorial tablet of Justina Dormer, d,1627, in south aisle; C17 and C18 memorial slabs with medallion portraits of Robert Grovelier, Rector, d.1720 and Reverend R. Burton, d.1730. Stained glass: late C19; west window of south aisle has C16 and C17 glass from Sesswell's Barton, on site of Barton Abbey (q.v.), reset as memorial to General James Dormer in 1742. The dedication of the church to St. Germanus suggest an early association with Christianity. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp739-40; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, p159; National Monuments Record)

Listing NGR: SP4799324169


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 739-40
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1983), 159


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].