CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1199503
Date first listed:
07-Dec-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1199503.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:38:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)
Parish:
Rendham
National Grid Reference:
TM 34985 64494

Details

TM 36 SW RENDHAM THE STREET

11/100 CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL 7.12.66 GV II*

Parish church. Medieval, restored 1852. Nave, chancel, west tower, north porch, north vestry. Random flint rubble, remains of plaster to east wall of chancel, stone dressings; plaintiled roofs to nave and porch, slates to chancel. C15 tower: 4 stages and crenellated parapet, diagonal buttresses to west face; 2-light west window with blocked niche above, 2-light Y tracery bell chamber openings; panelled flushwork to parapet and buttresses, clock face to north. Nave with 2 C15 windows (one largely original) and blocked doorway to south, one 2-light C15 window to north; simple C15 porch with knapped flint facade and empty niche over doorway. C14 chancel: 2 broad lancet windows and Priest's doorway to south, one 2-light Y tracery window to north and a 4-light east window with intersecting tracery. Simple arch-braced nave roof of 6 bays with moulded wallplate; no chancel arch. Plain octagonal font, probably C19; good pulpit complete with backboard and tester, dated '1632 WP'; set of 26 C19 box pews in nave; sanctuary with simple piscina and late C19 stone reredos, the panels painted with the Lord's Prayer, Commandments and Creed. 2 sets of Royal Arms: Charles II on north nave wall, Victoria over tower arch. Graded II* for surviving medieval fabric.

Listing NGR: TM3498564494

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
285695
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/11520/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert Whitehouse. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].