CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1199597
Date first listed:
06-Jan-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1199597.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:55:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
West Knoyle
National Grid Reference:
ST 85964 32684

Details

WEST KNOYLE THE STREET ST 83 SE (west side) 8/179 Church of St Mary the Virgin 6.1.66 GV II* Anglican parish church. C13, C15, restored 1876-78 by J. Mountford Allen of Crewkerne. Dressed limestone, tiled roof with ceramic ridge cresting. West tower, nave with south porch, chancel and north organ chamber and vestry. Gabled C19 south porch with double C19 doors in moulded Tudor-arched doorway with square hoodmould, diagonal buttresses and image niche over door, reset plaque dated 1767 records porch repair. Nave has C19 square-headed 2-light window with hoodmould to left and two 2-light to right of porch. Chancel has two C13 cusped lancets and pair of C19 lancets, east end has C19 three-light Perpendicular-style window with hoodmould, cross finial to coped verge, angle buttresses. Lean-to C19 organ chamber and vestry attached to north side, Tudor-arched door and trefoiled lancets, rendered brick stack. North side of nave has three C15 square-headed windows with cusped lights and blocked pointed doorway. Three-stage tower with moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses, string courses; Tudor-arched west door with hoodmould and 3-light Perpendicular window over, south and north side of middle stage have- single-light Tudor-arched windows with pierced decorative stone louvres, bellstage has 2-light Tudor-arched Perpendicular stone louvred windows, moulded string course to battlemented parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles, square stair turret with small arrow loops on south east corner of tower. Interior: porch with wooden plaque recording £50 grant to 1878 restoration, C19 planked inner door with ornamental hinges, pointed moulded arch. Nave has 4-bay C19 arch-braced collar truss roof on stone corbels. Continuously chamfered tower arch with C20 screen. C19 chancel arch on compound shaft corbels, chancel roof boarded, double-chamfered pointed C19 arch to organ chamber, pointed archway to right to vestry, polychrome tiled floor and trefoiled aumbry on north wall, chamfered trefoiled piscina on south wall probably C13 restored. Fittings: no pews, but choir stalls retained in chancel, C19 communion rail. C19 polygonal pulpit with open traceried wooden panels on stone plinth. C19 octagonal carved stone font in C15 style, C18 octagonal pedestal font with gadrooning retained. Painted Royal Arms hung in tower. Stained glass in south east chancel window to George Vander Meulen died 1888. Monuments include segmental pedimented grey marble tablet to Mary Willoughby died 1736, egg and dart moulded panel with painted heraldic arms to Grace Carpenter died 1666. Five bells dated 1605, 1661, 1665, 1671 and 1887. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; W. A. Mitchell, West Knoyle, 1978)

Listing NGR: ST8596432684

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
321285
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Mitchell, M W , West Knoyle, (1978)
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Feb 2005
Reference: IOE01/11671/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jeremy Gray. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].