CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1199645

Date first listed: 11-Oct-1968

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, ROCK LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST THOMAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1199645 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2019 at 14:36:22.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, ROCK LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Sefton (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Melling

National Grid Reference: SD 38884 00259

Details

MELLING ROCK LANE SD 30 SE (north side) 7/113 Church of St. Thomas 11.10.68 G.V. II Church. 1835 with chancel of 1873. By J. W. Casson. Stone with stone slate roof, east end has concrete tile roofs. 5- bay nave, west tower, chancel and north organ loft and south vestry under lean-to roofs. Nave has cornice and coped gables, diagonal buttresses with pinnacles, and lancets with splayed reveals and hood moulds between weathered buttresses. Gabled porch to end bay of south side. Tower has diagonal buttresses. Giant arch to west side frames 3 lancets (2 blind) wih 3-light window above; north side similar; south side has entrance with shouldered lintel. Bell stage has paired louvred bell openings, cornice and embattled parapet. Chancel has east window of 3 stepped lancets; diagonal buttresses and paired lights to organ loft and vestry. Stack to south east angle of nave. Interior: Roof has tie beam trusses. Deep west gallery on iron columns with moulded capitals. East wall of nave has chancel arch on round piers, flanking segmental pointed recesses, that to left with organ pipes, with rosettes above. Similar south entrance. Chancel has pointed arch to organ lofts and south blind arches. Window has stained glass by Holiday dated 1907. Nave has good wall memorials, especially R. Bootle (died 1758 and Sir T. Bootle (died 1753). To rear of nave, pointed commandment, prayer and creed boards, also board commemorating rebuilding of church (1834) and charity board flanking entrance to south entrance. Hanoverian arms in gallery. Open-well stair in tower.

Listing NGR: SD3888400259

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 216512

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing