CHURCH OF SAINT MARY AND SAINT ETHELBERT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1199767

Date first listed: 28-Oct-1959

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT MARY AND SAINT ETHELBERT, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT MARY AND SAINT ETHELBERT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1199767 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 15:48:33.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT MARY AND SAINT ETHELBERT, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Luckington

National Grid Reference: ST 83732 84047

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LUCKINGTON CHURCH ROAD ST 88 SW (north side)

2/217 Church of Saint Mary and Saint Ethelbert

28.10.59

GV 1

Anglican parish church, c1200 to C15, restored and chancel rebuilt 1892 by A.W. Blomfield, rubble stone with stone slate roofs and coped gables. Nave, south aisle, north and south porches, north tower, chancel with north vestry and south east chapel. Nave and aisle have C15 fenestration, nave has tall 3-light pointed west window and north side flat-headed 3-light and 2-light with hoodmoulds each side of moulded pointed C14 north door in plain C18 gabled porch. South aisle has 4-centred 3-light west window, 2- light and 3-light flat-headed windows with hoodmoulds flanking ashlar gabled porch with moulded pointed arch. Pointed arched inner doorway with C19 door. South east chapel is 1872 reconstruction of C13 original with two pairs of lancets to south side, buttresses, rectangular window to right with hoodmoulds, and east end 3-light stepped lancets. Chancel of 1872 is ashlar with one south lancet, 3-light east window, one north lancet and added 1917 flat-roofed vestry. Four-stage north tower, C13 with bottom stage north paired lancets, second stage small lancet loops to north and east and third stage blocked 2-light bell-openings, with plate-traceried quatrefoil heads, raised angle piers and corbel table. Top bell-stage is C15 with 2-light Perpendicular openings and hoodmoulds linked by dripcourse. Battlements and truncated angle pinnacles. Interior: much restored 3-bay arcade of c1200 with circular piers, bases with spurs and trumpet-scallop caps with circular abaci. Two-chamfer arches. C15 arch-braced collar rafter roofs to nave and aisle. Painted texts of 1663 on north and south walls. Nave has two low niches in north east angle, perhaps a former reredos, behind C17 or C18 panelled stone pulpit. Corbel head in north east angle, rood-stair in south east angle. Half-column piers to 2- chamfer chancel arch. Chancel, dated 1872, has marble shafted lancets, two to north, one to south and much restored C13 two bay arcade to south east chapel with Purbeck marble shafted piers, quatrefoil bases and caps. North side pointed arch on column piers to tower. 1872 sanctuary decoration, brass rails, encaustic tiles, mosaic reredos. South east chapel, apparently all restored has fine Purbeck marble shafted windows with stiff-leaf caps to east window shafts. Roof dated 1872. Two-chamfer west arch on column piers, similar to tower and chancel arches. Fittings and monuments: chancel stained glass and on south east chapel window of c1910 by W.E. Tower. In aisle and south east chapel three coloured marble late C18 plaques to Fitzherbert family, one of c1779 signed T. Paty and Sons. South east chanel has framed plaque to H. Fitzherbert died 1720. Nave has plank north door. Large stone bowl font and west wall coloured marble monument to J. Harford died 1769. (N. Pevsner, Wiltshire, 1975 313-4).

Listing NGR: ST8373084044

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 316030

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975), 313-4

End of official listing