CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1200322
Date first listed:
24-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1200322.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:57:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
Parish:
West Hendred
National Grid Reference:
SU 44732 88281

Details

WEST HENDRED SU4488 18/186 Church of The Holy Trinity 24/11/66

I

Church. C14. Ashlar stone plinth with moulded top to south aisle porch and tower; irregular flint and stone rubble mixture; lead roof to nave and aisles; old plain-tile roof to chancel; roof of tower not visible. 3-bay aisled nave with 2-bay chancel and west tower. Stone porch to centre of south aisle, with plank double outer doors to 4-centre arched doorway. Paired trefoil open lancets to each side of porch. Stone benches to interior of porch. Plank double doors to 2-centre arched inner doorway with hood mould, 2-light rectilinear tracery windows to left and right of south aisle. 2 flat-roofed dormers with 2-light casements to nave. 2-light rectilinear tracery window with flat head and hood mould to east end of south aisle. Plank door to 2-centre arched doorway with hood mould at centre of chancel. 2-light rectilinear tracery window with lancet lights and flat head to left of chancel. 3-light reticulated tracery window to east end of chancel. North side: blocked 2-centre arched doorway at centre of north aisle. 2-light stone mullion window with lancet lights and flat heads to left and right of north aisle, and to east end. 2-light reticulated tracery window to left of chancel. 3-stage west tower: 2-light rectilinear tracery louvred openings to each side of top stage. Plain parapet to tower. Interior: braced collar-truss common-rafter roof to chancel. C14 encaustic tiles to chancel floor, with some C19 encaustic tiles to upper step of sanctuary. Probably early C18 wood altar rail with turned balusters and moulded rail. Trefoil-topped pisciha to right of altar. Fragments of medieval glass to east window. 2-centre chancel arch. Braced collar-truss common-rafter roof to nave, with tie beams porbably inserted 1746 (one dated). C14 encaustic tiles to floor. Hexagonal wood pulpit of c.1630 to left of chancel arch. C19 pews to nave, except C15 fronts to rear rows of pews, with blind tracery. Aisle arcades of three 2-centre arches on octagonal columns. North aisle has some C15 pews, one with blind tracery to end, Red cross painted on north wall to east end of aisle. South aisle: octagonal stone font with wood pyramidal cover of c.1630. Red cross painted on south wall to east end of aisle. (Buildings of England: Berkshire: 1975, p264; VCH: Berkshire: Vol 4, 1924, pp306-7)

Listing NGR: SU4473288276

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
250224
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 306-7
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 264

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Dec 2001
Reference: IOE01/06222/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Alan Rosevear. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].