CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1200325
Date first listed:
15-May-1989
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1200325.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 00:50:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Sarsden
National Grid Reference:
SP 28946 23007

Details

SARSDEN SP22SE 7/187 Church of St. James

GV II

Parish church. 1760, extended 1823 by G.S. Repton, restored 1896 by W.E. Mills. Limestone ashlar to north and east sides and porch, regularly coursed and dressed rubble to south, rendered to west; stone slate roof with coped verges on projecting kneelers. Nave; chancel; transepts, north-east vestry and south-west porch. Nave. North side has C18 or c.1823 round-headed windows with moulded architraves, plain imposts and projecting keystones to left and right of central 6-panel doors with similar architrave and leaded fanlight, approached by flight of 3 steps. South side has 3 round-headed windows like those on north but with plain architraves. Porch (1823) to south-west corner has moulded cornice and embattled parapet. Paired pointed Gothic windows with dripstone to east side, blind pointed opening to south side and pointed doorway with Gothic panelled door approached by flight of steps on west side. Moulded impost band to pointed doorway and blind opening and moulded plinth to doorway continued round to other sides. Blind mock gun-loop above doorway to west. North transept (1823) has 3 stepped round-headed windows (1896) to north wall and gabled bellcote (also 1896) with round-headed opening. Single-light round-headed window in east wall. South transept has round-arched leaded window with inner round-headed arch linked to outer by transoms and radiating mullions near top of arch. Hip-roofed vestry in angle to east has single-light round-headed window in south wall. Chancel with chamfered plinth has semi-circular hoodmould over low-relief roundel with Maltese cross. East wall has round-headed window like that in south transept; stone cross to gable. Interior. Considerably restored 1896. Dado panelling may be partly 1760 but mainly late C19. Nave benches, choir stalls, octagonal font and wooden pulpit all late C19. Plastered barrel-vaulted roofs to nave, chancel and transepts with plain quadripartite vault to crossing. C19 communion rails incorporate C18 barley sugar balusters with sprouting foliage carving to bases. No monuments of note. No connection from main body of church to porch. An engraving in Skelton shows the church, presumably before the remodelling of 1823. (Buildings of England: 0xfordshire: p752j Joseph Skelton: The Antiquities of Oxfordshire (1823)", p59; Bodleian Library, Oxford: HS.Top.oxon. a.68, no.452) [2637]

Listing NGR: SP2894623007

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
254082
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 752
Skelton, J, Antiquities of Oxfordshire, (1823), 59

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email Enrichi[email protected].