PARISH CHURCH OF ST DENYS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1200786

Date first listed: 05-Jan-1950

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST DENYS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST DENYS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1200786 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 20:20:17.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST DENYS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Leicester (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: SK 62759 02766

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 60 SW 718/18/29 05.01.50 CHURCH ROAD Evington Parish Church of St Denys

GV II*

Parish church. Late C13, early and mid C14. South porch removed 1840. Restored and chancel rebuilt by H Goddard & Sons 1867. Further restoration, nave and aisles re-roofed by Goddard & Paget 1884. North War Memorial porch added 1919 by Baines & Povis. South vesteries added 1957-58 by Edwards Branson & Edwards.

Rubble stone with ashlar dressings. Shallow lead roofs to nave and aisles, chancel has steep slate roof with decorative ridge tiles. Nave with north and south aisles, west tower with spire, chancel and north porch and south vestries.

Three stage west tower has double chamfered plinth, angle buttresses, battlements and octagonal stone spire with two sets of alternating lucarnes and weather vane. West face has single lancet window with chamfered cill band. Bell stage has single pointed arch bell opening to each face, that to west has 2 inner lancets.

South aisle has plinth, cill band, moulded parapet and buttresses with set-offs. West window and two outer south windows have double chamfered pointed arches and intersecting tracery. Central south doorway, now inner doorway to large vestries added 1957-8.

Chancel, 1867, has moulded corbel table, gabled buttresses and raised coped gables with kneelers and stone finial. South side has pointed and moulded arched priest's doorway and tall lancet to left. East end has pointed arched 4-light window with geometrical tracery, north side has single lancet and projecting gabled organ chamber with 2-light pointed arched window.

North aisle has plinth, cill band, moulded parapet and buttresses with 4-light pointed arched window to east with unusual tracery, above gable finial contains much restored statue of St Denys. South front has 3 pointed arched windows with cusped intersecting tracery. Off-centre projecting ashlar north porch added as War Memorial, 1919. West window has broad pointed arch 4-light window with reticulated tracery.

Nave has 3 clerestorey windows to each side, all flat headed and 2-light with panel tracery.

INTERIOR has triple chamfered tower arch and broad double chamfered chancel arch with responds. 4 arched double chamfered arcades to north and south with compound piers and responds with plain capitals. Elaborate wooden roof to chancel, 1867, supported on wall shaft corbels. Remaining wooden roofs replaced 1884. Wooden fittings including pews, pulpit and choir stalls installed 1884. Stone C12 bowl font with central circular stem and four outer columns raised on two circular steps. Large wooden early C16 chest with iron banding and studding. Monuments include a fine marble wall monument, 1735, to Dr James Sherard MD, topped with a segmental pediment, two further marble wall monuments to Richard and James Vann, local framework knitters. Stained glass includes three windows, 1870, including east chancel window by Lavers, Barraud & Westlake.

Listing NGR: SK6275902766

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 188620

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/67625

End of official listing