FORMER MERCANTILE BANK OF LANCASHIRE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1200800
Date first listed:
09-Aug-1988
Date of most recent amendment:
06-Jun-1994
Statutory Address:
FORMER MERCANTILE BANK OF LANCASHIRE, LAPWING LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER MERCANTILE BANK OF LANCASHIRE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1200800.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 05:41:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER MERCANTILE BANK OF LANCASHIRE, LAPWING LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Manchester (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 84145 92303

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ89SW LAPWING LANE, Barlow Moor 698-1/8/502 (South side) 09/08/88 Former Mercantile Bank of Lancashire (Formerly Listed as: LAPWING LANE, West Didsbury (South side) Former Mercantile Bank of Lancashire (Barclays Bank))

II

Former Bank. Dated 1903; designed by Joseph Swarbrick. Finely-pointed red brick with red and yellow terracotta detailing; hipped 2-span red tiled roof with crested ridge tiles. L-shaped plan, the longer range containing the former banking hall and general office, and the smaller range (to the left) the former manager's office. Single storey, 2+2 bays to Lapwing Lane and 3 bays to Cresswell Grove; with corner pilasters, plinth, moulded sill-band to arcade of round-headed arches, yellow terracotta string-course, frieze with terracotta panel lettered "MERCANTILE BANK OF LANCASHIRE LIMITED", prominent modillioned cornice with egg-and-dart enrichment, and coped parapet. The left bay of the main range has double doors with raised panels; the other bays (boarded at time of survey) had 3-light round-headed tripartite windows (when surveyed in 1988). Right-hand corner has nicely-detailed recessed downpipe and rainwater head dated 1903. Interior (1988): mahogany doors with lugged surrounds; 2 staircases (to vaults) with turned balusters; egg-and-dart cornices; mosaic floors.

Listing NGR: SJ8414592303

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
388261
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/04782/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Mike Widdas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].