NEW MILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1200821

Date first listed: 20-Jun-1988

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Jun-1994

Statutory Address: NEW MILL, JERSEY STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NEW MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1200821 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 12:06:32.

Location

Statutory Address: NEW MILL, JERSEY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Manchester (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 85032 98642

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The asset was previously listed twice also under List entry 1219022. This entry was removed from the List on 20 January 2017.

SJ8498 698-1/17/871 20/06/88

MANCHESTER JERSEY STREET, Ancoats (South side)

New Mill (Formerly Listed as: JERSEY STREET, Ancoats Mill building, part of Murray's Mill)

II*

GV

Cotton spinning mill, now disused. Built in 1804. Red brick in Flemish bond, with slate roof. Cast-iron and timber internal structure. Six storeys, 22 bays, with slightly advanced 6-window range to centre, and 4-window gabled returns. Cambered brick heads to 9-paned windows. Semicircular stair turret in centre of rear elevation, which also has narrow vent-towers to each side. Detached engine house beyond the stair turret was partly rebuilt in the late C19 or early C20 (a new engine house built early C20 on conversion to rope drive does not survive). Original internal structure comprised cruciform cast-iron columns supporting timber beams and joisted floors: these survive on upper storeys, and have been replaced with cylindrical columns and steel beams elsewhere.

The mill was built as part of Adam and George Murray's textile works, established on this site in 1798, and expanded to form a courtyard in which three spinning mills were linked by warehouse and office blocks around a courtyard and canal basin. Included as a now rare example of early non-fireproof construction, and as an important component of Murray's mills.

(Williams, M.: Cotton Mills in Greater Manchester: LONDON: 1992-: 159-162; Greater Manchester Sites and Monuments Record).

Listing NGR: SJ8503298642

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 388214

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Williams, , Farnie, , Cotton Mills in Greater Manchester, (1993), 159-162

End of official listing