ADULT DEAF AND DUMB INSTITUTE (FORMER)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1200839
Date first listed:
03-Oct-1974
Statutory Address:
ADULT DEAF AND DUMB INSTITUTE (FORMER), GROSVENOR STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ADULT DEAF AND DUMB INSTITUTE (FORMER)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1200839 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 14:59:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
ADULT DEAF AND DUMB INSTITUTE (FORMER), GROSVENOR STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Manchester (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 84398 97079

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ8497 GROSVENOR STREET 698-1/20/596 (South side) 03/10/74 Chorlton-On-Medlock Adult Deaf and Dumb Institute (former)

GV II

Former Deaf and Dumb Institute. Dated 1878 on central gable; by John Lowe; altered. Sandstone ashlar, slate roof. Gothic style. Two storeys and basement, 3 bays, symmetrical, with gabled centre; raked sills, frieze over ground floor inscribed "ADULT" "DEAF & DUMB" "INSTITUTE", corner pilasters to 1st floor, central gable with kneelers and apex cross, parapets to the outer bays. The centre has a wide doorway with large 2-centred arched head moulded in 3 orders, carved imposts, a hoodmould and carved shield with open hand, and a wrought-iron lamp bracket over this; at 1st floor a large 2-centred arch containing a pedestal with sculpture of the Good Shepherd under a cusped and gabled canopy and flanked by arched lights and roundels, raised lettering above on either side "A:D" "1878", and in the gable 3 very small lancets under a semi-circular relieving arch. The outer bays have coupled 2-centred arched windows to ground floor and 2-centred arched windows to 1st floor with 2 arched lights and a quatrefoil in the head, with hoodmoulds and gablets above. Gable chimneys. Forms group with Grosvnor Picture Palace to right (q.v.).

Listing NGR: SJ8439897079

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
388163
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01612/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Malies. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].