SEWER VENTILATION PIPE ADJOINING NORTH WEST CORNER OF 1-1A BARNSTAPLE STREET (NOT INCLUDED)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1200866
Date first listed:
04-Feb-1991
Statutory Address:
SEWER VENTILATION PIPE ADJOINING NORTH WEST CORNER OF 1-1A BARNSTAPLE STREET (NOT INCLUDED), BARNSTAPLE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of SEWER VENTILATION PIPE ADJOINING NORTH WEST CORNER OF 1-1A BARNSTAPLE STREET (NOT INCLUDED)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1200866 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-May-2019 at 22:22:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
SEWER VENTILATION PIPE ADJOINING NORTH WEST CORNER OF 1-1A BARNSTAPLE STREET (NOT INCLUDED), BARNSTAPLE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Torridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Bideford
National Grid Reference:
SS4577526577

Details

BIDEFORD

SS42NE BARNSTAPLE STREET, East-The-Water 842-1/2/252 (East side) 04/02/91 Sewer ventilation pipe adjoining NW corner of 1-1A Barnstaple Street (not incl)

II

Sewer ventilation pipe. Probably 1901-2. Engineer was Baldwin Latham of Parliament Mansions, Westminster; contractor E Ellis of Bideford. A tall, cylindrical iron pipe. Designed as a tapering Gothic shaft, with pedestal, moulded base and foliated capital; halfway up, a projecting moulded band disguising a joint. The shaft is surmounted by an arrow pointing the direction of the sewer. Above it is a ball with open lugs facing in all 4 directions, the whole finished with a tall finial encircled by a coronet. The shaft is moulded with the maker's name; the upper part is illegible, but the remainder reads GLASGOW. SARACEN FOUNDRY. It is matched by an identical one at the other end of East-the-Water, in Torrington Street (qv). It has the same maker's stamp and the two probably date from the re-laying of the East-the-Water sewers (including the installation of ventilators) in 1901-2. (Bideford Weekly Gazette: 1900-1902: 23.10.1900; 17.09.01).

Listing NGR: SS4577526577

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
375721
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Bideford Weekly Gazette' in 23 October, (1900)
'Bideford Weekly Gazette' in 17 September, (1901)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].