18, BUTTGARDEN STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1200887
Date first listed:
19-Apr-1993
Statutory Address:
18, BUTTGARDEN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 18, BUTTGARDEN STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1200887 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 21:22:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
18, BUTTGARDEN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Torridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Bideford
National Grid Reference:
SS 45305 26419

Details

BIDEFORD

SS4526 BUTTGARDEN STREET 842-1/6/66 (West side) No.18

GV II

House and veterinary surgery. 1900. By RT Hookway of Bideford. Solid rendered walls. Slate roof. 3 red-brick chimneys on ridge, 1 in centre and 1 at either end; the 2 right-hand chimneys have round pots. 3 storeys. Broad front, of 2-window range. Windows are generally of 3 lights, the second-storey windows taking the form of flat-topped canted bays. To right of ground storey the pattern is varied to insert a cart-entrance with a single-light window to right of it; cart-entrance has 4-paned fanlight and recessed double plank-doors. At extreme left-hand end is a 6-panelled door with fanlight containing coloured leaded glass; patterned iron gate immediately in front of it, designed to be used when the door is left open. All ground-storey openings have segmental arches with moulded archivolts, these dropping down at either side and continued across the front as a bandcourse. Windows have sashes with horns, the window to right and the middle light of that to left with margin-panes. Bays to second storey have rounded bases and are finished with entablatures, the cornices continued across the front; blocking-course above, rising to a shallow point over the middle light. Sashes with horns, the middle lights with margin-panes. Third-storey windows have wooden mullions and transoms; heads and bandcourse matching those in the ground storey, but with the addition of keystones. Above each of them is a triangular gable with moulded bargeboards, breaking through the prominent eaves cornice; latter is coved at each end. Sills linked in all 3 storeys by broad bands. Square rainwater-pipes at either end of front and in centre, these having decorated clamps and heads. Frances Parsons, veterinary surgeon, was at this address in 1870. By 1902 he had been replaced by William Ascott, MRCVS, for the erection of whose 'dwelling house and horse repository in Buttgarden Street' RT Hookway & Sons, FIAS, had invited tenders in 1900. Occupies a prominent location at the entrance to a well-preserved C18 and C19 street. Included for group value. (Morrises Directory for Devonshire: 1870-: P.355; Bideford Weekly Gazette: 5.6.1900: P.4; Kelly's Directories: Devonshire: 1902-: P.72).

Listing NGR: SS4530526419

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
375779
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Morris Directory' in Devonshire, (1870), 355
'Bideford Weekly Gazette' in 5 June, (1900), 4
'Kellys Directory' in Devonshire, (1902), 72

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/03777/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Barbara Hilton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].