Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1200893

Date first listed: 08-Nov-1949



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1200893 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 00:54:53.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge (District Authority)

Parish: Bideford

National Grid Reference: SS 45386 26423


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SS4526 CHURCH WALK 842-1/6/75 (South side) 08/11/49 Church of St Mary


Parish Church. Probably C15; all but the tower rebuilt by Edward Ashworth in 1862-5. Fittings and monuments retained from old church. Stone rubble, with limestone details. Slate roof. Nave, N and S aisles with attached chapel on N, chancel, N and S chancel chapels, N and S porches, W tower. Both medieval and C19 parts in Perpendicular style. 3-stage tower with angle-buttresses at NW and SW corners; set-back buttresses at east end of north and south faces. 5-sided stair-turret on N face. Pointed-arched W doorway with double-ogee mouldings; C19 ribbed door with ornamental strap-hinges. Above it a 4-light traceried window with pointed arch (restored). Second stage has single-light windows with cinquefoil arches in N and S faces (both restored); that to S has square-headed slit window above it. 2-light apertures in each face, that to east apparently reduced in height to insert a clock; the other 3 openings have pointed arches, each light beneath having itself a plain pointed arch. Stair-turret has pointed-arched doorway (probably C19) with plank door having ornamental strap-hinges; 5 original slit windows. Tower finished with battlemented parapet. C19 body of church has traceried windows, mostly of 3, 4, or 5 lights; pointed arches, except for 4-centred ones on N and S sides of chancel chapels; hood-moulds have dramatic high-relief male and female heads as terminals. INTERIOR: nave has 6-bay aisle-arcades with 4-centred arches; similar 2-bay arcades in chancel. nave and S aisle have false hammerbeam roofs; arch-braced roofs over N aisle and chancel; wagon roofs over chancel chapels. Fittings: Norman stone font with scalloped bowl having carved panels and cable-mouldings. Doors in tower arch made up of early C16 carved bench-ends. C19 pulpit; white marble veined with orange; green and red marble attached columns; attached figure of Christ. Glass screen between the N aisle and chapel engraved by Peter Tysoe, 1982. Several stained glass windows, including east window by A Gibbs, 1865, and north window by Dix. Monuments: traceried stone screen between chancel and south chapel incorporating tomb of Sir Thomas Graynfild (d.1514); chest with quatrefoil panels carrying recumbent figure in armour; south aisle has wall monument with high-relief bust of John Strange, merchant (d.1646), four times mayor of Bideford; inscription recording his work during the plague, of which he died. (The Buildings of England: Cherry B: Devon (2nd edition): London: 1989-: P.174, 176).

Listing NGR: SS4538626423


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 375791

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 174, 176

End of official listing