THE GANNET PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1200910

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1993

Statutory Address: THE GANNET PUBLIC HOUSE, 70, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE GANNET PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1200910 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 11:45:31.

Location

Statutory Address: THE GANNET PUBLIC HOUSE, 70, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge (District Authority)

Parish: Bideford

National Grid Reference: SS 45304 26609

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BIDEFORD

SS4526 HIGH STREET 842-1/5/130 (North side) No.70 The Gannet Public House

GV II

Wine merchant's shop, now Public House. c1884-5; possibly by A Thorne. Coursed stone rubble with details in red sandstone; ground storey painted. Tarred slate roof. Red-brick chimney, with moulded top cornice, on left side-wall. Eclectic Queen Anne style, with Early Renaissance details to symmetrical front. 3 storeys with garret; 3-window range. Ground storey arranged in 4 bays with pilasters between and at either end. Each contains a round-arched opening with moulded archivolt springing from square half-columns and having a fluted keystone; above the pilasters is a deep entablature, at each end of which is a pedestal carrying a fruit-filled vase in high relief, the pedestals in turn resting on large foliated scroll-brackets; the urns are still unpainted. Much of the detail within the arches appears to have been altered, but the second arch from the right has a transom-light with coloured glass. Upper storeys flanked by pilasters, these being linked across the front between the storeys by an entablature with panelled frieze. Third-storey pilasters rise to a moulded eaves cornice. Windows have moulded architraves and 2-paned sashes, except for the middle second-storey window; this takes the form of a 3-light mullioned-and-transomed bow window with panelled, moulded base and top entablature, the latter surmounted by a patterned iron railing. 3 dormer gables with flanking pilasters and triangular pediments: the pilasters are buttressed by scrolls and the round-arched windows have moulded keystones rising to the apexes of the pediments; 2-paned sashes; the dormers have slate-hung sides. INTERIOR: only partly inspected. Ground-storey bar wholly altered, apart from some moulded ceiling-cornices. Entrance-hall to upper storeys, at the left-hand end, has moulded cornices and floor of patterned coloured tiles. Plain staircase, but at the top a half-glazed door with coloured glass and patterned glazing-bars. Included for group value. (Bideford Weekly Gazette: 23 Sept.: 1884-: P.5; Bideford Weekly Gazette: 1884-: 4 NOV, P.5; Bideford Weekly Gazette: 1888-: 14 AUG, P.5; Ridley: Illustrated Family Almanack: 1880-: P.33; Kelly's Directories: Kelly's Directory of Devonshire: 1889-).

Listing NGR: SS4530326622

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 375841

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ridley, , Ridleys Illustrated Bideford Family Almanack, (1878-1880), 33
'Kellys Directory' in Devonshire, (1889)
'Bideford Weekly Gazette' in 23 September, (1884), 5
'Bideford Weekly Gazette' in 14 August, (1888), 5
'Bideford Weekly Gazette' in 4 November, (1884), 5

End of official listing