DRUID HOUSE INCLUDING STABLE ABOUT 10 METRES NORTH WEST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1200962
Date first listed:
10-May-1973
Date of most recent amendment:
01-Sep-1992
Statutory Address:
DRUID HOUSE INCLUDING STABLE ABOUT 10 METRES NORTH WEST

Map

Ordnance survey map of DRUID HOUSE INCLUDING STABLE ABOUT 10 METRES NORTH WEST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1200962 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-May-2019 at 22:06:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
DRUID HOUSE INCLUDING STABLE ABOUT 10 METRES NORTH WEST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Teignbridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Ashburton
National Park:
DARTMOOR
National Grid Reference:
SX 74415 71124

Details

ASHBURTON

SX77SW DRUID 849-1/1/233 Druid House including stable about 10/05/73 10m NW (Formerly Listed as: DRUID ROAD Druid House)

GV II

Large house and stable. House looks early C19, but may be a remodelling of an earlier building; minor additions, including stable, in late C19 (possibly 1892). House has solid rendered walls, the front lined to imitate masonry. Stable of stone rubble with red-brick dressings. Slated roofs. Centre block of house has rendered chimney on each gable end; other rendered chimneys at rear. House presents a regular appearance to SE, with centre block flanked by short wings, that to right containing the front door; left wing extended in late C19. Rear part irregular, probably the result of one or more additions. Stable block at rear of narrow courtyard. House 2-storeyed with garrets; wings 1-storeyed. Centre block 2 windows wide; original wings have 1 opening each, that to left with 1-window extension. Centre block has plain triple-sashed windows; deep eaves-cornice with paired brackets; 2 gabled dormers with 2-light wood casements and bargeboards. Wings have rusticated flanking pilasters; their fronts rise to a parapet which conceals the roof. French window in left wing; 5-panelled door with pilasters and entablature in right wing. Extension to left wing has overhanging eaves; sash-window with margin-panes. Gable-end to left has shaped bargeboards with fleur-de-lys decoration and finial; inset in wall-face a coat-of-arms with date 1892. Side wall of right wing has 2-light granite-mullioned window (probably late C19) with glazing bars forming Gothic arches; coloured glass. Stone mounting-block set into rear wall. Stable has wood casement windows with glazing bars. Wood bell-turret.

Listing NGR: SX7441571124

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
375979
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].