Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1200964

Date first listed: 10-May-1973

Statutory Address: HELE HOUSE


Ordnance survey map of HELE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1200964 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2019 at 09:51:05.


Statutory Address: HELE HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge (District Authority)

Parish: Ashburton

National Park: DARTMOOR

National Grid Reference: SX 74279 70292



SX7470 HELE 849-1/5/240 Hele House 10/05/73


Formerly known as: Lower Hele. Large house, now sub-divided. Late C18, considerably extended mid C19. Solid rendered walls. Slated roof, hipped to left. Rendered chimneys. Double-fronted, double-depth house with centre entrance hall and staircase wing at either side, that to left believed to be late C18. Two storeys with garret. 6 windows wide. Main body of house has centre doorway with moulded frame and cornice. 2-storeyed bow window to right with 6 and 4-paned sashes. Square bay window to left of ground storey; 6 and 4-paned sashes, Grecian incised decoration, bracketed cornice. 2 6-paned sash windows in upper storey. Bracketed eaves-cornice. Wing to left has 6-paned sashes. Interior: main body of house has wooden staircase with thin square balusters and shaped step-ends. 1973 list refers to arched stair window with interlaced bars at head. The 2 front rooms have good marble chimneypieces. Door with incised Greek decoration in left wing. Interior only partly inspected. House was known as Lower Hele until at least mid C19. In 1846 a newspaper advertisement referred to it as "erected a few years since" but left unfinished. (The Times: 1.6.1846: P12).

Listing NGR: SX7427970292


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 375987

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
'The Times' in 1 June, (1846), 12

End of official listing