MARSH GRANGE MARSH GRANGE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1201091

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 20-Dec-1993

Statutory Address: MARSH GRANGE FARMHOUSE, TIPPINS LANE

Statutory Address: MARSH GRANGE, TIPPINS LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MARSH GRANGE
MARSH GRANGE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201091 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 15:16:38.

Location

Statutory Address: MARSH GRANGE FARMHOUSE, TIPPINS LANE

Statutory Address: MARSH GRANGE, TIPPINS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Barrow-in-Furness (District Authority)

Parish: Askam and Ireleth

National Grid Reference: SD 22090 79715

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BARROW IN FURNESS

SD27NW TIPPIN'S LANE, Ireleth 708-1/1/223 (West side (off)) 25/02/50 Marsh Grange and Marsh Grange Farmhouse (Formerly Listed as: OFF TIPPIN'S LANE, Ireleth Marsh Grange) (Formerly Listed as: OFF TIPPIN'S LANE, Ireleth Cottage in rear wing, Marsh Grange)

GV II*

Large farmhouse now 2 dwellings. Late C17 with early C17 rear wing altered C19. Cement-rendered over stone rubble, graduated slate roofs. Irregular plan: formal front of 2 storeys and attic and 5 bays; L-shaped rear wing of 2 storeys having 3 windows to 1st floor on south side and various additions to north. Front (Marsh Grange): plinth; central part-glazed door in bolection-moulded architrave flanked by pilasters; pulvinated frieze with keystone, cornice. 2 double-chamfered cross-windows to each side and 5 to 1st floor (bays 2 and 4 blind). End stacks with twin, square flues on shared plinths; right stack is corniced. To rear of ridge is a large stack having 4 diagonally-set flues. Left return (Marsh Grange Farmhouse): part-glazed boarded door; three 4-pane sashes to each floor. Corbelled end stack on left has slate tabling and 2 diagonally-set flues. End stack on right at junction with front range has massive base to 4 flues (as seen from front). Wing to Marsh Grange Farmhouse had end stack with 2 diagonally-set flues. INTERIOR: Marsh Grange has no exposed features of particular note. Marsh Grange Farmhouse exhibits many traditional features: former kitchen with large blocked fireplace beneath wooden lintel; slate flooring and benches; large slate table in pantry. Present kitchen has bressumer beam. Spiral stair near which are 2 blocked, wooden-mullioned windows (now beneath outshut roofline). Much original fabric to 1st floor particularly the plank and muntin room divisions. An ancient site developed as a monastic grange by Furness Abbey; belonged to Sir Hugh Askew after the dissolution. Birthplace of Margaret Askew who married Judge Thomas Fell of Swarthmoor in 1632 and George Fox, founder of the Quaker movement, in 1669 (Walton). Marsh Grange Farmhouse was listed 6.5.76. (Walton J E: A History of Dalton in Furness: Chichester, Sussex: 1984-: 122).

Listing NGR: SD2209079715

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 388619

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Walton, J E, A History of Dalton in Furness, (1984), 122

End of official listing