CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1201107

Date first listed: 17-Sep-1973

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGHER CHAPEL STREET

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, LOWER CHAPEL STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201107 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 11:40:28.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGHER CHAPEL STREET

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, LOWER CHAPEL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Looe

National Grid Reference: SX2561253175

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LOOE

SX2453 HIGHER CHAPEL STREET, East Looe 857-1/4/19 Church of St Mary 17/09/73

GV II

Parish church. Tower probably C15, otherwise 1888. MATERIALS: grey limestone brought to course with freestone dressings; tower of slatestone rubble with C19 granite dressings and C19 embattled parapet on moulded corbels; steep dry Delabole slate roofs: polygonal end to chancel; coped gable end north aisle and west end off nave. PLAN: west tower; nave; chancel with canted chancel end; north aisle and vestry at east end. Weathered buttresses dividing bays. EXTERIOR: Middle Pointed style. South wall has 4 bays with wider bay on the left; 3-light windows with trefoil heads and tracery with trefoils over pairs of sexfoils. North wall of north aisle in 4-bays; 2 x 3-light windows on left with trefoil-headed light and quatrefoil tracery; large pointed-arched doorway to 3rd bay has 2 orders with nook shafts and pair of original V-jointed doors with ornate iron hinges. North wall of vestry on left with lancet with hoodmould. East wall has canted chancel apse on left with 3 pointed-arched 2-light windows with trefoil-headed lights and cinquefoil tracery; hoodmoulds. Lean-to vestry on right with gabled stepped 3-light window with trefoil heads. East gable of north aisle above lean-to has rose window with 3 cinquefoils and 3 trefoils; hoodmould. West end has central tower with many original slit windows; C19 granite windows to upper stage and similar window to south wall of tower to ground floor with central section of wall surrounding it rebuilt; blocked clockface to north wall. Visible west end of nave has pointed arched doorway with nook shafts. INTERIOR not accessible at time of survey. (Kelly's Directories: Cornwall: 1906-: 192).

Listing NGR: SX2561253175

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 376402

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1906), 192

End of official listing