THE OLD GUILDHALL (NOW MUSEUM)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1201113

Date first listed: 19-Mar-1951

Statutory Address: THE OLD GUILDHALL (NOW MUSEUM), HIGHER MARKET STREET

Statutory Address: THE OLD GUILDHALL (NOW MUSEUM), MIDDLE MARKET STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD GUILDHALL (NOW MUSEUM)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201113 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 16:11:54.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD GUILDHALL (NOW MUSEUM), HIGHER MARKET STREET

Statutory Address: THE OLD GUILDHALL (NOW MUSEUM), MIDDLE MARKET STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Looe

National Grid Reference: SX2559253213

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LOOE

SX2453 HIGHER MARKET STREET, East Looe 857-1/4/25 (South West side) 19/03/51 The Old Guildhall (now Museum)

GV II*

Guildhall, now Museum. Probably C16, slightly remodelled C17. MATERIALS: rubble walls with chamfered oak lintels, some of which are original; part grouted and part slurried rag slate roof with 7 original crested clay ridge tiles; truncated rear lateral stack. PLAN: rectangular 1st-floor hall plan. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with street level built up at the front; 2-window range. Late C17 or 1705 3-light oak mullioned windows to 1st floor (front and rear); rubble string just above 1st floor sill level; many original or C17 oak lintels. Ground-floor windows have C20 copy outer frames; leaded lights to 1st floor; fixed lights with glazing bars to ground floor. Above ground-floor lintels are the truncated remains of original corbels whichprobably originally projected to carry pentice roof with string course as weathering. Original oak doorway with shouldered head central to fenestration; C20 panelled copy door, similar original doorway to 1st-floor left with original 9-panel door. Flight of external stone steps with pentice roof up to open gabled porch with town pillory used as collar. Left-hand return has 2 small barred windows. INTERIOR: original oak roof structure with high morticed collars, trenched purlins and slightly curved truss feet carried on wallplates; canopied plaster ceiling to left-hand end with simple cove to follow shape of trusses; corbelled fireplace hood with late C19 or C20 granite corbels. Ground floor has original chamfered joists and inner ends visible of probable pentice corbels. At 1st-floor right is the 1705 magistrates bench with bolection-moulded panelling and a plaster coat of arms above.

Listing NGR: SX2559253213

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 376409

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing