CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1201132

Date first listed: 19-Mar-1951

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, HANNAFORE ROAD

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, WEST LOOE SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201132 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 22:55:48.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, HANNAFORE ROAD

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, WEST LOOE SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Looe

National Grid Reference: SX2540253201

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LOOE

SX2453 WEST LOOE SQUARE, West Looe 857-1/4/118 (South East side) 19/03/51 Church of St Nicholas

GV II*

Parish church, later a guildhall and borough prison then a school. C12 or C13, altered probably C16; restored 1852 and 1862. MATERIALS: rubble walls, dry slate roofs with some C17 crested clay ridge tiles over chancel; tower with pyramidal roof surmounted by finiala with weather vane; brick stack over boiler house. PLAN: nave/chancel under one roof; original west tower later heightened; later north aisle over former prison with vestry/boiler house at its east end. EXTERIOR: possibly C12 round-headed hollow-chamfered west doorway of volcanic stone and similar smaller unchamfered doorway to return wall of tower, both near the angle; C13 hollow chamfered lancet above west doorway. C19 windows: 2 granite lancets to the south aisle (and evidence for former south doorway); three pairs of freestone lancets to north wall; boiler house with pair of mortared lancets on the left and mortared pointed doorway; blocked doorway to the right of aisle; 3-light lancet window to east wall of aisle. Chancel has 3-light traceried east window and granite 2-light north window with cinquefoil heads to the lights. INTERIOR: plastered walls; C16 oak waggon roof to chancel and roof probably of same date over nave with 5 bays of oak trusses with morticed and cranked collars and curved truss feet carried on wallplates (similar to roof of Old Guildhall qv, East Looe). 3-bay arcade between nave and north aisle with posts and braces (knees) of reused ships' timbers. North aisle roof has 6 bays with C19 scissor trusses; pointed tower arch; some slate flooring by west doorway and C14 trefoil-headed freestone piscina to chancel. FITTINGS: round freestone font in C12/C13 style with cable and dog-tooth carving to rim and carved foliage to base of bowl; C17 carved oak chair; C20 pulpit to John Gustave Webb and 1933 pews with carved ends. (The Buildings of England: Radcliffe E and Pevsner N: Cornwall: 1970-: 106).

Listing NGR: SX2540253201

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 376467

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970), 106

End of official listing