GROUP OF FOUR HEADSTONES TO SOUTH OF SOUTH AISLE, CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1201141

Date first listed: 09-Jun-1995

Statutory Address: GROUP OF FOUR HEADSTONES TO SOUTH OF SOUTH AISLE, CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROUP OF FOUR HEADSTONES TO SOUTH OF SOUTH AISLE, CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201141 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 07:20:47.

Location

Statutory Address: GROUP OF FOUR HEADSTONES TO SOUTH OF SOUTH AISLE, CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Lynton and Lynmouth

National Park: EXMOOR

National Grid Reference: SS 72065 49419

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH

SS7149 CHURCH HILL, Lynton 858-1/4/15 (North side) Group of four headstones to south of south aisle, Church of St Mary

GV II

Four headstones. C17-C19. Stone or slate. The stones of special interest are scattered, but contained in 3 parallel rows which lie to the S of the S aisle, and E of the S porch of the church; they are described from N to S, in each row, and from W to E. (i) In first row, approx 2m from aisle wall, to Walter Fry, d.1749. In friable stone, to haunched arched head, the inscription badly eroded. (ii) Immediately S of the last. To David Knight, d.1748. Friable stone, haunched arched head. There is an inscribed verse below the name and date. (iii) At the end of this line, adjoining the churchyard boundary wall. To Elizabeth Squier (sic), d.164-. A very thin square-headed stone, a portion broken off, top left. The inscription, in fine serif capitals, is still very distinct and well preserved. This is the earliest monument recorded in the churchyard. (iv) Penultimate stone in this row. To Philip Squire, d.1786. A well-preserved slate headstone with haunched arched head and raised margin. A naive cherub head with stylised wings is set above an oval panel with scalloped surround, and finely incised inscription, which faces E.

Listing NGR: SS7206549419

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 376493

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing