Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1201142

Date first listed: 19-Jul-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Jun-1995



Ordnance survey map of ROCK HOUSE HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201142 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2019 at 20:10:20.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Lynton and Lynmouth

National Park: EXMOOR

National Grid Reference: SS 72309 49580



SS7149 EASTERN BEACH, Lynmouth 858-1/4/68 Rock House Hotel 19/07/50 (Formerly Listed as: LYNTON EASTERN BEACH Rock House, Manor Estate)


Hotel. Early to mid C19. Rendered, slate roofs. A 2-part building, the slightly earlier range a single-depth 2-storey block to gable ends. Attached to this at its E corner is the main range facing the gardens, an L-plan block with low-pitched hipped roof and deep eaves, entered at the junction between the 2 buildings, and with 2 principal rooms; this range has a thatched verandah on 3 sides. A 2-storey flat-roofed range has been added in the outer angle between the 2 units. Earlier range in 2 storeys, with 3 windows, all 2-light small-pane cast-iron casements with central mullion, 4-centred heads and Y-tracery; those at first floor in small open gablets. At each end gable, which has a scalloped barge-board and terminal drop, is a stack with paired diagonal brick shafts, and the return facing the river has a large 12-pane painted replica light above a single-storey extension with monopitch roof. The principal, inland range in 2 storeys, with sashes; the entrance front has 2+1 twelve-pane above an arched doorway with C20 door, and two 20-pane. The frontage facing inland has 2 wide-spaced 12-pane above a large 20-pane reaching to floor level, and a canted bay with French doors and margin bars; the return, to rear, has two 12-pane above a central canted bay matching the other. To right is the later insertion. A thatched verandah roof covers 3 sides of the ground floor, on small square C20 timber posts, and with the thatch slightly inflected as 'eyebrows' over the windows on the inland face. Over the door the thatch has been replaced by a section of corrugated plastic. A near-central broad brick stack, and another smaller to the rear. INTERIOR: part of ground floor only inspected. The 2 principal rooms, facing SE, retain white marble fireplaces; the room adjacent to the entry was water damaged in 1993, the other has a fine scrolled plaster ceiling cornice and central rose, and the 2 canted bays have panelled linings and soffits. Some panelled doors in reeded architravres with paterae. This property, a characteristic example in the Picturesque style, formerly had more extensive gardens to the SW, but these were cut back with the realignment of the river bed following the 1952 flood, and it is now supported by a stone retaining wall on this side.

Listing NGR: SS7230949580


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 376497

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing