FORMER CHAPEL AT SOUTH FURZEHILL FARM

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1201152

Date first listed: 03-Sep-1973

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Jun-1995

Statutory Address: FORMER CHAPEL AT SOUTH FURZEHILL FARM, STOCK ROAD, LYNTON

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER CHAPEL AT SOUTH FURZEHILL FARM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201152 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 02:50:27.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER CHAPEL AT SOUTH FURZEHILL FARM, STOCK ROAD, LYNTON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Lynton and Lynmouth

National Park: EXMOOR

National Grid Reference: SS 72677 44896

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH

SS74SW STOCK ROAD, Lynton 858-1/3/47 (South side) 03/09/73 Former Chapel at South Furzehill Farm (Formerly Listed as: LYNTON FURZEHILL Former South Furzehill Farmhouse and remains of Chapel to north)

GV II

Chapel dedicated to St John the Baptist, now outbuilding. Late medieval, much modified. Rubble, corrugated iron roof. Single-unit plan space with an attached outshut, approx 20m to the N of the old farmhouse (qv). The long roof-slope facing the farmhouse is contained in rough coped gable ends. It is entered from the S by plank doors, up wide stone steps to the 'nave', which retains no recognisable detail, but has an opening with wood lintels through a thick wall to the right, and evidence of blocked openings in the end gable wall and a small niche; this wall is not bonded to the 2 lateral walls. There is some transparent corrugated sheeting to the N slope. The pinnacles at North Furzehill (qv) and Ye Old Cottage (qv), Barbrook, said to have come from this chapel. (Chanter JF: History of the Parishes of Lynton and Countisbury: Exeter: 1907-).

Listing NGR: SS7267744896

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 376536

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Chanter, J F, History of the Parishes of Lynton and Countisbury, (1907)

End of official listing