BANASTER MONUMENT APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES SOUTH EAST OF HEDGE TO CAR PARK, ADJOINING SOUTH WEST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1201166
Date first listed:
25-Apr-1994
Statutory Address:
BANASTER MONUMENT APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES SOUTH EAST OF HEDGE TO CAR PARK, ADJOINING SOUTH WEST, ABBEY PRECINCTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of BANASTER MONUMENT APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES SOUTH EAST OF HEDGE TO CAR PARK, ADJOINING SOUTH WEST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201166 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-May-2019 at 00:13:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
BANASTER MONUMENT APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES SOUTH EAST OF HEDGE TO CAR PARK, ADJOINING SOUTH WEST, ABBEY PRECINCTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Tewkesbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Tewkesbury
National Grid Reference:
SO 88972 32425

Details

TEWKESBURY

SO8932 ABBEY CHURCHYARD, Abbey Precincts 859-1/6/361 Banaster monument approx. 10m SE of hedge to car park, adjoining SW path

GV II

Chest tomb, earliest date 1799, but inscriptions cover period to 1858. Sandstone. Includes WILLIAM BANASTER, 1802, but is mainly to the 12 children of WILLIAM AND SARAH BANASTER, from 1799 to 1836. Flat ledger to moulded edges, raise panels long sides, and inset ends with cornice and base mould, all set to moulded base and large platform, formerly railed. Although very fine inscriptions remain legible, the monument is unstable and beginning to split apart. It is of interest not only as a monument, but for the element of social history contained in the inscriptions. Seven of the child deaths were in infancy.

Listing NGR: SO8896832425

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
376568
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].