MEW AND UNIDENTIFIED MONUMENTS APPROXIMATELY 13 METRES NORTH OF NORTH WEST CORNER OF ABBEY CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1201168
Date first listed:
25-Apr-1994
Statutory Address:
MEW AND UNIDENTIFIED MONUMENTS APPROXIMATELY 13 METRES NORTH OF NORTH WEST CORNER OF ABBEY CHURCH, ABBEY PRECINCTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of MEW AND UNIDENTIFIED MONUMENTS APPROXIMATELY 13 METRES NORTH OF NORTH WEST CORNER OF ABBEY CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201168 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 09:36:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
MEW AND UNIDENTIFIED MONUMENTS APPROXIMATELY 13 METRES NORTH OF NORTH WEST CORNER OF ABBEY CHURCH, ABBEY PRECINCTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Tewkesbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Tewkesbury
National Grid Reference:
SO 89012 32440

Details

TEWKESBURY

SO8932 ABBEY CHURCHYARD, Abbey Precincts 859-1/6/366 Mew and unidentified monuments approx. 13m north of NW corner of Abbey Church

GV II

Two close-set monuments, C17 and C18. (i) Chest tomb. C18. Limestone. Includes inscription to Thomas MEW (?) but without date. Heavy flat ledger with cyma-mould edges on fielded panels with drapes, and inset ends to quarter balusters, chamfered base. Generally rather worn, but style is typical of early to mid C18 in Cotswold memorials; (ii) Chest tomb. Mid to late C17. Limestone, brick repairs. Heavy flat ledger slab to chamfered edges, on plain panels, all to heavy chamfered base. The end panels have deep incised lettering, but are not clearly decipherable; the date 1733 can be made out. The long sides of the monument have brick end panels, framing a set-back central panel. The form of the monument is typical of the C17, with its heavy and relatively plain components; it is certainly earlier than 1733.

Listing NGR: SO8901232440

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
376575
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04619/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Brookes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].