This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GATEHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GATEHOUSE

List entry Number: 1201236

Location

GATEHOUSE, GLOUCESTER ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Tewkesbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Apr-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 376754

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TEWKESBURY

SO83SE GLOUCESTER ROAD 859-1/2/173 (West side) Gatehouse

II

Detached house, formerly toll house. Early C19. Painted brickwork, slate roof, brick stack. Plain block with octagonal front to road, low-pitched hipped roof to wide eaves overhang; small flat-roofed extension, left. 2 storeys; each splayed face to road end has 25-pane sash at each level, and front has large blocked opening or panel above 16-pane to former door opening. Returns have 25-pane centrally at first floor, and on S side above door set under extension. Back has casements. Central unpainted brick stack. INTERIOR not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: the original turnpike of 1756 from Cheltenham to Tewkesbury, ran W of the site of this toll house, which was relocated here by 1839; the previous building stood a little further to the N, at the junction of the present road with Lower Lode Lane, until 1829. (Gloucester Society for Industrial Archaeology: Journal: Bayes J F: Gloucester: 1971-).

Listing NGR: SO8888632041

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Journal' in Journal, (1971)

National Grid Reference: SO 88886 32041

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201236 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 10:59:49.

End of official listing