LLOYDS BANK AND BANK HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1201246

Date first listed: 25-Apr-1994

Statutory Address: LLOYDS BANK AND BANK HOUSE, 19, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of LLOYDS BANK AND BANK HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201246 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 13:43:24.

Location

Statutory Address: LLOYDS BANK AND BANK HOUSE, 19, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury (District Authority)

Parish: Tewkesbury

National Grid Reference: SO 89297 32850

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TEWKESBURY

SO8932 HIGH STREET 859-1/6/196 (West side) No.19 Lloyds Bank and Bank House

GV II

Office building. 1921. Timber-framing with plaster panels, brickwork, tile or slate roof. A large ground-floor banking hall, with side passage to the right, carries 2 jettied floors of offices or domestic accommodation, with 3 gables to the street. 3 storeys, 3-windowed. Under the jettied gables are small 2-light oriels on brackets, and at first floor larger 3-light oriels, with transom, on curved brackets. Ground floor, on high ashlar plinth, in fine oak joinery, with full-width window in 3:5:3 lights to 4-centred heads, and with a transom. To left a panelled door with side-lights under panel inscribed 'Tewkesbury Branch', to right a similar door under a 2-pane transom light gives to the side passage. Under upper oriels are 2 plaster panels, dated 1765 (left) and 1921 (right). The return gable, left, is tile hung; 2 lofty 'Tudor' ridge chimney stacks in brick. The right-hand wall, beyond the passageway, is in brickwork, with 2 large mullioned and transomd casements lighting the banking hall. All casements have small-scale leading. Back plain rendered, and rear roof slope is slated. INTERIOR: ground floor is one large, high banking hall, with no intermediate supports, and with a lobby inset at the left. It is in a series of 9 large square ceiling compartments, the central one being covered by an octagonal dome with small-scale geometrical glazing. The others are sub-divided by moulded beams into 4 smaller panels. The bay divisions and wall panelling, with flat 4-centred heads and spandrels, are all executed in high quality polished oak detail. The windows to the front are in deep splayed embayments with panelled reveals. The main counter appears to be the original 1921 fitting, and the late C20 glazed safety screen has been inserted without damage to the primary structure. The building, although faced out in timber-framing, is on a larger scale than the traditional buildings of C16 and C17, plainly showing its late provenance. An assured and uncompromising design which plays a prominent part in the street scene and exhibits a high standard of craftsmanship both inside and out.

Listing NGR: SO8929732850

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 376779

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing