Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1201285

Date first listed: 04-Mar-1952

Statutory Address: ABBEY MILL, MILL STREET


Ordnance survey map of ABBEY MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201285 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2019 at 15:55:49.


Statutory Address: ABBEY MILL, MILL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury (District Authority)

Parish: Tewkesbury

National Grid Reference: SO 88917 32544


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SO83SE MILL STREET 859-1/2/304 (North West side) 04/03/52 Abbey Mill


Water mill on River Avon, now restaurant and banqueting rooms. Dated 1793 W I, some additions early to mid C19. Brickwork, some painted, horizontal board on timber-framing, tile roofs. PLAN: a complex structure in 3 storeys and attic on various brick-arched waterways. 2 long parallel wings set gable to street, with a third wing downstream forming squat T-plan; the 3 elements stepped back from road, and with original wheel position to middle range. 3 mill races to undershot wheels. Windows generally to segmental brick heads, and in timber, but those to ground floor of up-stream wing are original cast-iron small-pane; a 1923 photograph shows that cast-iron was still retained in the first floor windows here. EXTERIOR: front to Mill Street has half-hipped wing set back, left, with hipped dormer above 2-light casements at first and second floor, and door far right at ground floor, approached over timber bridge. Middle wing, half-hipped end, 2-light at first, second and third floors, and remains of approx 5m diameter cast-iron wheel with 8 spokes set to pit below; some blades remain and the wheel is still turned. Wing right is gabled, painted brick, with gabled boarded hauling bay at top floor having 16-pane pivoted light; immediately below is 16-pane in main wall, above pair C20 doors at head of external flight concrete stairs, and a plank door to right at ground floor. Up-stream front in 6 bays, with deep projecting horizontal-boarded hauling way to bay 4, on pair of slender cast-iron columns over public footpath. 5 lofty part-cantilevered gabled dormers with 16-pane lights above row of small square lights at second floor, and 16-pane lights to first and ground floor. Pair plank doors bay 4 under projection. River front has similar formation to Mill Street, but parallel wings run flush; first gabled wing has scatter of four 16-light windows with door to right, middle unit half-hipped with 2-light casements at each level above roof of projecting single storey arched unit over waterway. Set-back down-stream wing has lean-to with arched opening over waterway; above is similar to opposite side, and half-hipped gable end has central 6-pane lights at attic and second floor, 2-light at first, and plank door below giving to a timber platform over the river. INTERIOR has been carefully restored and retains most of original fabric; series of heavy square beams carried on varied cast-iron columns to spine, some to spreader plates. (Victoria County History: Gloucestershire: London: 1968-: 139).

Listing NGR: SO8896532522


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 376886

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1968), 139

End of official listing