KING JOHN'S BRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1201287

Date first listed: 04-Mar-1952

Statutory Address: KING JOHN'S BRIDGE, MYTHE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of KING JOHN'S BRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201287 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 19:57:29.

Location

Statutory Address: KING JOHN'S BRIDGE, MYTHE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury (District Authority)

Parish: Tewkesbury

National Grid Reference: SO 89371 33231

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TEWKESBURY

SO8933 MYTHE ROAD 859-1/5/313 King John's Bridge 04/03/52

GV II*

Road bridge over River Mill Avon. Originally built c1190, but frequently repaired or rebuilt, including substantial remedial works in 1747, 1783, and 1810, culminating in major restructuring in 1824. General reconstruction completed in 1962. Coursed sandstone ashlar. 5 low segmental arches in 2 square recessed orders, a fifth arch, near E end higher than others, to triangular cutwaters with refuges each side. Heavy weathered coping. Abutments continue to W for approx 27m, and on N side is a plaque giving historical information, including long quotation from Leland (1769) concerning King John's involvement in the earlier bridge. The low arches are carried on series of heavy square ribs for about two-thirds of the road width, and some of the masonry on the upstream side appears to have survived the 1962 rebuild. On the downstream side, to the W, a set of 14 steps leads down to the riverside walk, breaking cleanly through the parapet. (Victoria County History: Gloucestershire: London: 1968-: 114-5).

Listing NGR: SO8937133231

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 376890

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1968), 114-5

End of official listing