CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1201291
Date first listed:
27-Jul-1973
Date of most recent amendment:
25-Apr-1994
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, OLDBURY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201291 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 04:12:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, OLDBURY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Tewkesbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Tewkesbury
National Grid Reference:
SO 89444 32881

Details

TEWKESBURY

SO8932 OLDBURY ROAD 859-1/6/323 (East side) 27/07/73 Church of Holy Trinity (Formerly Listed as: OLDBURY ROAD (East side) Holy Trinity Church)

II

Anglican parish church. 1837, architect Ebenezer Trotman. English bond brickwork, limestone ashlar dressings, steeply pitched slate roof. PLAN: 7-bay lofty nave with narrow added chancel and projecting central west porch contained within full-height pointed arch. EXTERIOR: entrance front is high brick pointed arch in 3 chamfered brick orders, 4-centred lancet in gable, to diagonal buttresses in 3 offsets, stone weatherings, and octagonal brick pepper-pot turrets to stone cappings and finials. Contained within this a projecting porch with moulded stone ogee-gable to pair of plank doors with decorative strap hinges under plank tympanum in pointed arch. All set forward from main gable with gable swept down to haunched kneelers, and diagonal buttresses to 3 offsets. Plinth to 2 chamfered offsets, moulded raking cornice and blocking course to moulded saddle-back coping. Each side of set-forward unit a plank door in segmental moulded arch. N and S sides have 7 lancets in double chamfered brick jambs and pointed arches to brick drip, separated by buttresses to 3 offsets; end buttresses diagonal. Square central ridge turret to slate pyramid, wood louvres, copper-clad skirt. Lower narrow chancel bay with brick coping and cornice above 4-light Perpendicular-style window with 2 transoms, diagonal buttresses, and flanking hipped roof vestries. East gable to nave has raised centre section with gablet and cross above lancet with louvres. INTERIOR: single space 6-bay nave with double gallery at west end, one bay chancel and shallow projection narrow sanctuary. Flat boarded ceiling above ties to composite trusses on braces to stone corbels, plain walls, moulded segmental pointed rere arches and jambs to windows picked out. Small red quarry tiles to aisles with yellow slips to cast-iron gratings to heating ducts. Galleries raised on octagonal stone columns to basket-handle arches with panelled gallery fronts, and above original panelled and glazed entrance lobby, with side access to galleries by wood stairs. Sanctuary bay through 4-centred moulded arch to painted celure, stained oak reredos and panelling, including open screen to organ gallery to left, with 2-light traceried opening to nave, 1850s and later stained glass to windows, and to first 3 windows each side of nave. Original boxed pews in stained pine to nave with central and 2 side blocks, some removed at front with projecting platform. Octagonal stone font. Various tablets, and, left of chancel, dedicatory panel to John Terrett, benefactor (d.1852), giving consecration date August 30th 1837. A simple but remarkably unchanged interior from the pre-Tractarian phase of Anglican church design, the congregation being noted in the C19 for its Low Church sympathies. The church was built to serve a rapidly expanding area called The Oldbury, built up after the enclosure of Oldbury Fields in 1811.

Listing NGR: SO8944432881

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
376900
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/04181/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Brookes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].