DOUGLAS HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1201311

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1973

Date of most recent amendment: 28-Nov-1994

Statutory Address: DOUGLAS HOUSE, 23 AND 25, THE BANK

Map

Ordnance survey map of DOUGLAS HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201311 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 19:45:42.

Location

Statutory Address: DOUGLAS HOUSE, 23 AND 25, THE BANK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County Durham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Barnard Castle

National Grid Reference: NZ 05000 16245

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BARNARD CASTLE

NZ0516SW THE BANK 770-1/6/191 (West side) 22/02/73 Nos.23 AND 25 Douglas House (Formerly Listed as: THE BANK (West side) Nos.1-17, 23-29 (Odd) and The Old Well)

GV II

Inn, later 2 flats and public house, now shop and flat. Mid C18 with early and late C19 shop fronts, the earlier at left ex-situ. Irregular courses of squared stone with ashlar dressings; roof of stone slates with stone gable copings. Salvaged materials of various dates throughout. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys; 4-window range. Tooled stone surround to ex-situ 6-panel door and overlight with radiating glazing bars in second bay. Inserted left shop front: Regency with entablature on slender pilasters framing 3x3 panes to front and 3 on right return to recessed door; grid ventilator in stall riser has glass blocking. Right shop front late C19 with slender panelled pilasters and elliptical heads to central half-glazed door and flanking 2-light windows; full-width entablature. 16-pane sashes on upper floors, most renewed, and 2-light renewed casement at top left, have tooled flat stone lintels and projecting stone sills. Second-floor windows almost square. Low-pitched roof has end chimneys. Rear shows small inserted 2-light window with C16-type segmental stone heads; Gothic-style glazing bars to stair window between first and second floors. INTERIOR: inserted ground floor ceiling at right, 2 spine beams at left plastered over and with added cornice. Stair first flight has winders, upper flights dogleg, with narrow handrail on re-set stick balusters and turned newels. First floor has c1800 shutters to windows; inserted C18 chimneypiece with bolection frieze, dentilled cornice and Delft tiles. Second floor has architraves to windows; 3-panel door re-sited from attic of right part of house. Roof has halved pegged trusses with 2 levels of purlins. Owner reports deeds say building was an inn in 1697; that there was a blacksmith in the rear in 1700, with vehicle entrance uphill in right part of the frontage, and that the building remained a public house until c1920 with 2 houses above. The shop front to left of facade was salvaged from a shop at the corner of Milburn Steet and Hylton Road in the Millfield area of Sunderland; the door and overlight next to it came from Haggerston, Northumberland. Gazebo in rear yard constructed from salvaged materials including small stone lancet slits.

Listing NGR: NZ0500016247

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 388820

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing