This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1201323



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: County Durham

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Barnard Castle

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 24-Feb-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 28-Nov-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 388754

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



NZ0516SW MARKET PLACE 770-1/6/125 (South side) 24/02/50 Market Cross (Formerly Listed as: MARKET PLACE (East side) Market Cross, Cobbles surrounding base)


Market cross or butter market. At various times also Town Hall, court room, lock-up and fire station. Dated 1747. Built at the expense of Thomas Breaks. Ashlar with roofs of graduated slates. Octagonal plan. EXTERIOR: 2-storey tower with pent arcaded shelter. Dwarf walls, graduated to accommodate the slope of The Bank, support Tuscan arcade with 4 columns to each side (24 in all), and entablature supporting steep pent roof. Entrance in centre of Market Place side to north. Within arcade, octagonal base of tower has keyed arches with impost bands and paved central space. Above arcade, sill band to Venetian windows with glazing bars on north, south, east and west sides, and round-headed niches on alternate sides. Deep eaves cornice. Hipped roof supports high lantern with ogee dome and weather-vane finial. Base of tower contains renewed winding stair with newel posts. On second floor, above entrance, a stone panel inscribed: 'THIS BUILDING WAS/ ERECTED 1747 AT/ THE EXPENSE OF/ THOMAS BREAKS, ESQ/ NATIVE OF THIS PLACE'. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORY: blue plaque within arcade gives history of use of structure; C19 painted notice records that the Corn Returns for the Town of Barnard Castle are to be made and delivered at the Inland Revenue office, Hall Street. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: County Durham: Harmondsworth: 1983-: 87).

Listing NGR: NZ0503216327

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: County Durham, (1983), 87

National Grid Reference: NZ 05032 16330


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201323 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2017 at 09:41:37.

End of official listing