MARKET CROSS REMAINS IN OLD CHURCHYARD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1201376

Date first listed: 03-Apr-1973

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Nov-1994

Statutory Address: MARKET CROSS REMAINS IN OLD CHURCHYARD, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of MARKET CROSS REMAINS IN OLD CHURCHYARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201376 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 10:24:59.

Location

Statutory Address: MARKET CROSS REMAINS IN OLD CHURCHYARD, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale (District Authority)

Parish: Buckingham

National Grid Reference: SP 69365 33601

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BUCKINGHAM

SP6933 CHURCH STREET 879-1/6/50 Market Cross remains in Old 03/04/73 Churchyard (Formerly Listed as: Remain of Market Cross in Old Parish Churchyard)

GV II

Stump of market cross. Medieval. Limestone. Square base with shaped top corners. Square shaft with chamfered corners and fleurons to chamfers. Cross originally stood in the Horse Fair, West Street, on an open space nearly opposite Castle House, remaining there until c1800, when removed to garden of the Dun Cow, to serve as a pedestal for a sundial. Other moves followed until it returned to Buckingham in 1858. It was finally set up in the Old Churchyard, where it marks the site of west door of medieval parish church, demolished 1775, following second collapse of tower. (Harrison JT: Historical Buckingham: Buckingham: 1909-: 71).

Listing NGR: SP6936533601

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 377148

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Harrison, J T , Historical Buckingham, (1909), 71

End of official listing