Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201509.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2021 at 16:38:42.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SW 82720 44826



SW8244NE PRINCE'S STREET 880-1/7/212 (North side) 19/06/73 No.1


Formerly known as: No.1 BOSCAWEN STREET. House, now commercial premises. c1850. Roughly-coursed rubble, granite and granite dressings, steep dry Delabole slate roofs with coped gables and tall stone axial and gabled lateral stacks. Tapered corner site, 2 rooms wide with entrance porch at the Boscawen Street front giving access via a cross passage to rooms on the left (facing Duke Street) and rooms on the right (facing Prince's Street). Tudor style. 2 storeys plus attics and 3 storeys plus attics. Tall gabled elevations with plinths, string courses, arched doorways and mullioned windows. West entrance front, of 1:1:1 fenestration, has full-height porch with moulded 4-centred arched doorways to either side; wider bay with 4-light windows, left, and bay with 3-light windows, on the right. Porch has 5-light bay window over a frieze of quatrefoils which returns under the 4-light sidelights; larger windows have transoms, most have hoodmoulds. Side walls are similarly detailed. INTERIOR not inspected. No.1 Prince's Street is on the site of the Coinage Hall, 1351-1848. John Wesley preached here on 27th August 1776 and on other occasions. In 1851 it was the home of Nicholas Gill, the founder of a successful drapery business. Plaque on building for Wesley information. (The Truro Buildings Research Group: Prince's Street and The Quay Area: Truro: 1980-).

Listing NGR: SW8272044826


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Princes Street and The Quay Area, (1980)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Sep 2006
Reference: IOE01/15874/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].