CHURCH OF ST MARY CLEMENT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1201542

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1971

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Jul-1993

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY CLEMENT, INCLUDING SCHOOLROOM AT REAR, UNION PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY CLEMENT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201542 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 07:33:31.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY CLEMENT, INCLUDING SCHOOLROOM AT REAR, UNION PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Truro

National Grid Reference: SW 82593 45000

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TRURO

880-1/4/304 UNION PLACE 08-JAN-71 TRURO (North side) CHURCH OF ST MARY CLEMENT including Schoolroom at rear (Formerly listed as: UNION PLACE TRURO ST MARY'S METHODIST CHAPEL)

II A large Wesleyan chapel and adjoining schoolroom. Datestones on the building indicate that the chapel was built in 1830 and the schoolroom in 1868. The building was modernised by Silvanus Trevail in 1885 when most of the interior fittings and windows were added. The chapel is in the Classical style, 2 storeyed, with granite to the western front and rubble with granite dressings elsewhere and a Delabole slate roof. Rectangular aisleless plan with galleries on all sides. Symmetrical 1:1:1-bay west entrance front has moulded triangular pediment with central oculus over quoin pilasters and pairs of pilasters between the bays; 3 round-arched first-floor windows with glazing bars and spoked fanlight heads; central doorway is flanked by free-standing Doric columns with entablature over; tapered flanking doorways have eared architraves; C20 doors. Side walls have later C19 windows with coloured memorial glass. INTERIOR: panelled plaster ceiling with moulded ribs. Fittings: all date to the 1884/5 renovation of the chapel and include pitch pine benches with galleries on all sides; columns to galleries; a large mahogany rostrum and altar rail.

Source:- West Briton 19th March 1885

Listing NGR: SW8259544999

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 377614

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing