TRANSIT SHEDS TO SOUTH EAST OF MORPETH BRANCH DOCK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1201562
Date first listed:
19-Feb-1991
Statutory Address:
TRANSIT SHEDS TO SOUTH EAST OF MORPETH BRANCH DOCK, PACIFIC ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of TRANSIT SHEDS TO SOUTH EAST OF MORPETH BRANCH DOCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201562 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 00:02:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
TRANSIT SHEDS TO SOUTH EAST OF MORPETH BRANCH DOCK, PACIFIC ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wirral (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 32811 89382

Details

BIRKENHEAD

SJ3289 PACIFIC ROAD 789-1/9/112 (North West side) 19/02/91 Transit Sheds to SE of Morpeth Branch Dock

GV II

Transit sheds. c1872. Rock-faced sandstone with Welsh slate roofs. Range of 4 single-storeyed sheds. Series of wide openings with sliding doors to dockside, the street elevation largely blind, but punctuated by recessed downspouts. Segmentally arched openings in the two end walls, with circular ventilation windows in gable apexes. The sheds are separated by cross walls which project above the roofline with tumbled stone copings. Some interconnecting wide doorways in internal cross walls. Undivided internal spaces spanned by timber Queen post trusses, with wrought iron lateral and longitudinal ties and braces. The sheds date from the expansion of Morpeth Dock in 1872-1873, under the supervision of G.F. Lyster as engineer, and are the only stone transit sheds on Mersey-side.

Listing NGR: SJ3281189382

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
389268
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/13862/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Geoffrey Court. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].