ST ANSELM'S JUNIOR SCHOOL (REDCOURT)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1201567
Date first listed:
28-Mar-1974
Statutory Address:
ST ANSELM'S JUNIOR SCHOOL (REDCOURT), 7, DEVONSHIRE PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST ANSELM'S JUNIOR SCHOOL (REDCOURT)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201567 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 19:36:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST ANSELM'S JUNIOR SCHOOL (REDCOURT), 7, DEVONSHIRE PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wirral (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SJ3043988308

Details

BIRKENHEAD

SJ3088 DEVONSHIRE PLACE, Claughton 789-1/10/188 (South side) 28/03/74 No.7 St Anselm's Junior School (Redcourt)

GV II

House, now in use as school. 1876-9. Edmund Kirby for George Rae. Red brick with red sandstone dressings and plain tiled roof. Simplified Tudor style, with expressive asymmetrical planning. 3 storeys. Entrance front of 3 bays with moulded brick arched doorway to the right. Central advanced gabled bay with mullioned and transomed windows. Mullioned and transomed windows in left-hand bay with hipped dormer window over. To the right of the doorway, stack slightly corbelled out, with inscription stone set in: "Redcourt built in the years 1876-9 by George Rae. God's Providence mine inheritance." Right-hand return elevation has central stack and advanced gable to right, with 6-light mullioned and transomed windows to ground and 1st floor, 5-light mullioned window to attic. 4-light mullioned and transomed windows in left-hand bay, and narrow lights within the chimney to ground and 1st floor. Rear elevation with full-height canted bay to right, and asymmetrical gable to left. Paired 3-light mullioned windows in central section to 1st floor, 4-light mullioned window with transom to ground floor, and 4-light mullioned window to attic. Lower service wing to right. Subtle brick detailing throughout, with simply moulded string courses, and eaves stressed by deep bands of slightly stepped brickwork. Gable and axial stacks have star-shaped or octagonal shafts.

Listing NGR: SJ3043988308

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
389174
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].