K6 Telephone Kiosk on Hamilton Street at junction with Duncan Street, adjacent to Hamilton Square

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1201585
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1987
Date of most recent amendment:
26-Mar-2019
Location Description:
K6 Telephone Kiosk on Hamilton Street, at junction with Duncan Street, adjacent to Hamilton Square, Birkenhead.

Map

Ordnance survey map of K6 Telephone Kiosk on Hamilton Street at junction with Duncan Street, adjacent to Hamilton Square
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201585 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 23:59:23.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
K6 Telephone Kiosk on Hamilton Street, at junction with Duncan Street, adjacent to Hamilton Square, Birkenhead.
District:
Wirral (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SJ3257588891

Summary

Telephone kiosk, Type K6. Designed in 1935 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. Made by various contractors.

Reasons for Designation

The K6 telephone kiosk on Hamilton Street at the junction with Duncan Street, adjacent to Hamilton Square, Birkenhead, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* as an iconic example of industrial design showing Sir Giles Gilbert Scott’s adaptation of neoclassical forms for a modern technological function.

Historic interest:

* the K6 telephone kiosk was designed to celebrate the Silver Jubilee of King George V in 1935 by the eminent architect Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, further developing his successful K2 telephone kiosk design of 1924.

Group value:

* for its contribution to the streetscape and proximity and visual relationship with the important civic space of Hamilton Square, enclosed by Grade I Victorian terraces and the Grade II* Town Hall, with central gardens containing listed statues and a Grade II* war memorial.

History

The K6 telephone kiosk is a milestone of C20 industrial design, The K6 was designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935 for the General Post Office, on the occasion of King George V’s Silver Jubilee. The K6 was a development from his earlier highly successful K2 telephone kiosk design of 1924, of neoclassical inspiration. The K6 was more streamlined aesthetically, more compact and more cost-effective to mass produce. Sir Giles Gilbert Scott (1880-1960) was one of the most renowned English architects of the C20; his many celebrated commissions include the Anglican cathedral of Liverpool and Battersea power station. The K2 and K6 telephone kiosks can be said to represent a very thoughtful adaptation of architectural tradition to contemporary technological requirements. Well over 70,000 K6s were eventually produced. In the 1960s many were replaced with a new kiosk type. But many remain and continue to be an iconic feature of English streetscapes.

This K6 telephone kiosk is one of a pair of telephone kiosks originally positioned at an angle at the corner of Hamilton Street with Duncan Street, facing into Hamilton Square. The square is a civic space of outstanding architectural interest, enclosed by grand, Grade I, Victorian terraces of 1839 to 1844, designed by the Scottish architect, James Gillespie Graham (1776-1855), famous for his work in Edinburgh New Town, and an 1883, Grade II* Town Hall. The central gardens contain a Grade II* war memorial, a monument to Queen Victoria and a statue of John Laird, both Grade II. The telephone kiosks were both listed at Grade II in 1987. In 2018 they were relocated separately whilst retaining their visual relationship with Hamilton Square. This telephone kiosk was moved a short distance from its pre-existing location at the junction of Hamilton Street and Duncan Street; the other one was moved to the west corner of the square, at the junction of Price Street and Argyle Street.

Details

Telephone kiosk, Type K6. Designed in 1935 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. Made by various contractors.

MATERIALS: cast-iron, glass.

DESCRIPTION: The K6 is a standardised design of cast-iron painted red comprising a square kiosk with a shallow domed roof. The door and sides each have eight horizontal strips of glass with narrow margin lights. Above, in the top panels, are rectangular white display signs reading TELEPHONE with applied relief crowns over. Both telephone kiosks are complete, but with modernised internal equipment.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
389226
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11912/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].