BIDSTON LIGHTHOUSE AND LIGHTHOUSE COTTAGES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1201617
Date first listed:
08-Dec-1989
Date of most recent amendment:
10-Aug-1992
Statutory Address:
BIDSTON LIGHTHOUSE AND LIGHTHOUSE COTTAGES

Map

Ordnance survey map of BIDSTON LIGHTHOUSE AND LIGHTHOUSE COTTAGES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201617 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 07:29:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
BIDSTON LIGHTHOUSE AND LIGHTHOUSE COTTAGES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wirral (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 28673 89901

Details

SJ28NE 789-1/3/161

BIRKENHEAD BIDSTON Bidston Lighthouse and Lighthouse Cottages

(Formerly listed as Bidston Lighthouse and Lighthouse Cottage) 08/12/89

GV II Lighthouse with associated keepers' and hill warden's cottages. Built 1873 by the Mersey Dock Estate to guide ships into the Mersey estuary. It forms part of an extensive system of navigational aids along the North Wales coast. Rusticated ashlar; sheet metal roof to lighthouse, Welsh slate to the cottages. Lighthouse tower of 3 stages supporting recessed light-chamber under conical cap. Single- and paired sash windows to each stage; doorway (to west) surmounted by the title 'Mersey Dock Estate 1873' in medallion. Lowest stage battered. Upper walkway corbelled on consoles, with railings. Light chamber with modillion eaves cornice. Metal roof roundel finial. Single-storey cottage range attached to east, hipped roofs, paired sash windows, and rusticated stone stacks emerging from roof slopes. The cottages accommodated the families of the lighthouse keeper and the observatory groundsmen.

Listing NGR: SJ2867389901

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
389085
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/10124/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brendan Oxlade. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].